1752796 Members
5584 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Dat40e

Tim Herr
Occasional Contributor

HP Dat40e

I have an Adaptec ADPU160M SCSI adapter and a HP Dat40e tape drive (terminated on back of tape drive) connected to an IBM X232 server running NT 4.0 SP6. The adapter and tape drive are both seen on start-up with no errors detected. Once in NT the ADPU160M errors (event ID 11) saying DRIVE DETECTED A CONTROLLER ERROR ON \DEVICE\SCSI PORT2. The Dat40 errors (event ID 7026) saying BOOT-START OR SYSTEM-START DRIVER(S) FAILED TO LOAD: HPDAT. I have downloaded the most current drivers from Adaptec and HP but it did not help. If I turn off tape drive and restart NT, no errors are detected. I say something on HP's knowledgebase saying if the adapter and tape drive are detected on start-up the the problem usually lies within the operating system. I have totally run out of ideas which is why I am here. Can anyone give me some answers to my problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,
at this point, better think is to download L&TT (a disgnostic tool) from HP site, this could give you some answer.

bye

marino
Grant Willey
Advisor

I agree, the Library & Tape Tools downloadable from the HP site will test the SCSI bus for communications and termination problems as well as test the drive throughput, allow you to flash the firmware on the drive, etc. Could be the drive needs flashing to latest firmware, also check the Adaptec site to make sure you have flashed the controller to the latest firmware. As usual, check the SCSI device ID's on all your devices to make sure you have no conflicts. Let us know how you make out!
Tim Herr
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Melani and Grant Willey for responding to my question. Luckily I have already figured out my problem. The problem was actually right in front of me and I did not see it. When we ordered the SCSI adapter from our supply (bulk version) I failed to examine the adapter. What they sent me was a SCSI adapter for a Macintosh. One letter on the part number identified the adapter for use in a Macintosh and not Win NT. I guess I did not save much this time ordering bulk.