4021 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP LTO ULTRIUM 1 External - tape stuck in drive

Paul Solly
Occasional Contributor

HP LTO ULTRIUM 1 External - tape stuck in drive

Help
How do you remove a tape from a drive that has both the Drive and Tape error lights flashing ??
3 REPLIES 3
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Paul,

I am assuming that pressing the eject button normally is not working here. I also do not know what you were doing with the drive immediately before the issue. Had you just inserted the cartridge, performing a backup etc, additional info like this would help.

Couple of things you can try:

1. Activate a forced eject. Do this by pressing and holding in the eject button for greater than 6 seconds. This will rewind,unthread and eject the cartridge in most situations. It might take a few minutes to rewind and unthread though depending on where you are on tape.

2. If your drive is in warranty, and if step 1 does not work. Then you can return your drive for repair.

3. If your tape drive is out of warranty, then and only then:

If forced eject does not work then you might have to try using the manual eject feature. This will involve taking the cover off your box to get access to the wheel on th side. Before you attempt this though. You should Library and Tape Tools, our diagnostic tool and generate a support ticket, save it and zip it up and post it here so that we can see what errors your drive is reporting.
LTT is available from this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=24426&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=42921&prodTypeId=12169
choose you OS to download the correct version.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar.
Amport

Hi @ all

I have a similar Problem. Only the tape error light is flashing but i can not remove or use the tape.
I recived the error after changing the tape.

- forced eject did not work :-(

i hope you can give me some advice from the support ticket

thanks
Alain
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Please zip up the support ticket before attaching it. This should will bring it below the max file size restriction of 256K.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar