3451 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP MSL2024 - problem with tape drive

sorinmiroiu
Occasional Visitor

HP MSL2024 - problem with tape drive

Dears,

We are experiencing a major problem with our HP MSL2024 Tape Library, more specificaly, with one of the tape drives.

We found the tape library to be unavailable with the LCD screen blinking green (like a christmass tree). Our backup software (ArcServe 16.5) wasn't able to finish any backup job.

When we restarted the library we got the message that one tape drive is missing and automatically disabled the drive. Now, we have the tape library with only one tape drive Ready, while the other one is Disabled.

The problem is that the tape library will not start if we disconnect the disabled drive, and apparently our backup software is not able to see the tape library without one of the tape drives.

Is it possible to start the tape library without one of the tape drives ?

Thank you and regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: HP MSL2024 - problem with tape drive

I suspect that you have had a complete hardware failure on the first drive in the library which by default is configured to provide the library access.  It might be something to do with the power or control circuitry to that location or it could be the drive.  I can't tell without logs.

You should be able to just remove that drive and power-up the library but it sounds like that isn't working for you for some reason.  The library by default will keep resources reserved for the removed drive and keep reporting it over SCSI with the expectation that a repair is being performed.  If you want to take the drive out and keep it out then you want to remove the drive and use the web interface Configuration->Save/Restore and "Restore Factory Defaults". After resetting the defaults, the library will go find out what is installed and configure only those components.

If for some reason you have to leave the failed drive in and can't access the library from your application then you can use the Configuration->System page of the web interface and change "Library LUN Hosted By Drive" to set it to "2".

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

sorinmiroiu
Occasional Visitor

Dear Curtis,

Thank you for the reply. I'm almost 100% that the drive is now defect.

Actually we have the Library LUN Hosted by Drive set to the drive that is enabled. We don't even have a second option in that dropdown, just the single Drive that is enabled.

Our real problem is that our backup software cannot, somehow, get past the fact that the library has 2 drives but only 1 is enabled (visible). In fact, the drive that is enabled is working as usual. We moved some tapes using the Operations tab from the Web interface.

We will take into consideration your suggestion on reseting the tape library to factory defaults.

Will comeback with feedback asap.

Thank you and regards,

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

OK - let me know.  Reset Factory Defaults is the only way to get the library to quit reporting the failed drive.

In an MSL 2024 there aren't too many settings that are lost with a reset.  Key settings like admin password and network configuration are retained.  If you want to look at the full list it is in an appendix in the user's guide:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?spf_p.prp_psiContentDisplay=wsrp-interactionState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c04006690

Note: You do not want to use the Save/Restore Configuration tool as part of the configuration that is saved is the list of installed drives. For some reason that isn't in the settings list in the user's guide.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo