StoreEver Tape Storage
1748184 Members
3940 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP MSL5000 - Not Picking Up Tapes When Reinserted

Nick De-Jesus

HP MSL5000 - Not Picking Up Tapes When Reinserted

I have an HP MSL5000 Tape Library which is giving me the following problem.

Once a tape cartridge is removed and reinserted, the tape drive will not pickup tapes without a reboot of the server.

I have updated the Firmware on the device and have also had an HP Technician out to replace the robotic arm but neither of these actions has resolved the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Brian Bleijenberg
Frequent Advisor

Hi nick

What OS are you running and how is it connected (the msl that is).Did you use
the Tape Lib Tool already?

Greetz Brainz
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Hi Nick,

First of all.. what do you mean with "once a tapecartridge is removed and reinserted".
Are you doing this through the backup app. or by hand?

Leon
Nick De-Jesus

Hi Greetz & Leon,

The OS is W2K and the backup software is Veritas 9.1. The HP Library is connected through a SCSI connector daisychained into the backup server.

The problem occurs when I actually physically/manually remove the cartridge magazine from the library, replace the tapes and then re-instert the magazine again. Veritas then shows the HP Lirary as 'Offline' and will not bring it 'Online' until the server is rebooted.

Ejecting and reloading the tapes from the magazines (via Veritas or the Control Panel on the MSL5000) and into the actual LTO Tape Drives does not actually cause any issue.

Thank you for your contributions so far.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Before taking the tapes out of the library I believe you have to use to right click on you library and choose unlock in Backup exec. See following document:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190875.htm

Don't do tape robot operations through the operator panel when Veritas is in control of the library. I think you have to find the solution for your problem in the use of Backup exec. Also make sure you disable the removeable storage service

Leon
Nick De-Jesus

Hi Leon,

Thankyou very much for your helpful advice. I shall try the suggested resolution and update the thread with any feedback should the actions be unsuccessful.

Kind Regards

Nick De-Jesus
Bruce McGahey

I had exactly the same issue. Had HP here to have a look also.

The library would go offline after the removal of the tapes. Turned out it was the door when opened. There was no resolution but when I installed windows 2003 on the server the problem disappeared.