108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library <- Close Mailslot message

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bert Groeneveld

HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library <- Close Mailslot message

Hi everybody,
When I turn on my 2 years young MSL2024 tape library it goes through a proces of 30 minutes Recovery . . . Then it stops with the message: <-Close Mailslot on the front display. I can push buttons whatever I want, but nothing happens. I can not get rid of the <-Close Mailslot message. I already ejected the magazines with a paperclip at the back of the machine, hoping this might help, but unfortunately it didn't. Any help is welcome. I HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST 5 DAYS BEFORE A HP TECHNICIAN WILL CONTACT ME!!!! Background info: The tape library is connected to a Mac and my backup software is Presstore. Additional question: How can I make contact with the library via a webbrowser? I mean what is the IP address of the library, etc.?
12 REPLIES 12
Ganz
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library <- Close Mailslot message

Hello Bert,

To answer your questions ::
1. Open the bottom left magazine manually using paperclip and check to see if there is any tape in the mailslot. Bottom slot in the first column of the magazine towards the front. Alternatively you might want to check if the mailslot release switch is working fine. Attached are the photos with the mailslot release switch highlighed.

2. The library should be in DHCP mode by default and will get an ip address when connected to a LAN with DCHP Server enabled. You can check the same from the following options on the front panel of the library Main menu >> Status/Information >> Network Information.

Or set a static IP Address by navigating to the following options ::
1. From the Home screen, press Previous or Next until the screen displays Configuration. Press Enter to select.
2. Press Previous or Next until the screen displays Configure Network Settings. Press Enter to select.
3. Press Previous or Next until the screen displays DHCP Disabled or DHCP Enabled. To change theDHCP condition, press Enter.

Bert Groeneveld

Hello Ganz, thanks a lot for your great input. You really helped me through the problem. I rated your answer 10 points.

This is what I did: I opened the mailslot manually (thanks to your attachment I could find the switch) just to come in line with the status of the library (the library was thinking that the mailslot was open although it was closed). Then I rebooted the library with the mailslot open and at the end of the startup procedure I manually closed the mailslot and everything was set to normal. So the problem is solved. On the other hand, HP have a great forum! ;)
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Hello Bert,

I am an HP Engineering contact. You are able to upgrade the library and drive firmware versions using the OCP (front panel interface) using the USB port or the RMI (Remote management interface). We are currently at release version 4.90. Please let me know if you need any help.

TomG
Fitz David

Hi,

i have the same issue after upgrading the Firmware to 4.90, and the Drive FW to D23W.

The Webinterface show the Library and the Drive are ready.

The restart whitout Mailslot, re-flashing (same version) and factory defaults didn't work.

The Mailslot is disabled.
If i enable the Mailslot the Webinterface show me 3 Mailslots????

The library is connected to a ML530 Server2003 and BackupEcec.

Have anyone a solution??

Thanks.
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Your library must have a three position mailslot and not a single position mailslot.
If the left side magazine has a bezel that looks like the right side mazazine then it is a 3 position mailslot (it also may have a white dot on the lower right side of the magazine bezel). If the left side magazine has a bezel which is made up of two separate pieces (1U high) then you have a single slot mailslot magazine. MSL2024 does not ship with 3 slots mailslot magazines, but the firmware will support this type.
Fitz David

Ok, i will look if the Backup is complete. But the mailslot is closed, why the OCP shows the message "<-Close Mailslot" ?
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Check if the mailslot magazine is missing the Light Pipe (clear plastic) piece in the front location of the magazine.
Fitz David

The clear plastic is not missing (looks like the picture from "Ganz").
I have cleaned it, but no result.
sistla_sai

Status of Tape in Slot HPStorage Works MSL2024

I have an HP Tape Library MSL2024 installed.

I would like to know if there a way to find out the percentage of the tape that has been filled/empty.

Moreover, when I am looking at the TapeDrive through a PC in

Drive/Status/Inventory, I get
Drive Status: full, Gen, 2 

What does it mean?

Is my tape in the slot full, Can't it store anymore data on it?

What does GEN, 2 mean?