1748241 Members
3835 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Library work with Ultrium LTO3 960 internal drive

josef lahmer

HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Library work with Ultrium LTO3 960 internal drive

dear support,

iv'e got a dead LTO2 drive in my MSL6000 library and an working internal LTO3 drive (960i model:Q1538A)

is it possible to put the things together?
iv' changed the drives and the library works fine (commands, eject, media moves), but i don't get an scsi ID for my LTO3 drive.

i've foud out that the drives are configured to scsi-id=3, and the library "reconfigures" the drives to scsi-id=1 (for the lto2 drive) ...

ive tried some id-changes, but i dont' see the drive properbly on the controller side...

is there maybe a firmware upgrade for the internal to become a Library drive?
i've found a firmware hardware personity matches, but software personity don't maches.

... or do i have to by a new HP StorageWorks MSL6000 LTO Ultrium 960 Upgrade Drive (AD612A) - kit to get my msl6000 working again?

regards from austria,

josef lahmer
2 REPLIES 2
Vernny
Advisor

Re: HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Library work with Ultrium LTO3 960 internal drive

Hi Josef, I hope you're doing well.

Please take a look at the Compatibility Matrix for the MSL5k/6k/G3 Tape Libraries:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/pdf/techdoc/tapestorage/SW_MSL_Tape_Auto_bc_FINAL.hires_040808.pdf

You will see a note saying the following:
Mixed drive/media capability requires library partitioning (zoning) support by ISV backup application software; confirm if your backup software supports media partitioning.

Regards from Costa Rica :)

Vernny D.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks MSL6000 Tape Library work with Ultrium LTO3 960 internal drive

It will not be possible to use a stand alone drive in a tape library.
The "personality" of the drive will prevent you to load the FW that is needed for automation. (the drive should talk to the library in order to work)
the only way to go is to buy a drive for that library.