108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks SDLT Tape Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bing Wong
Frequent Advisor

HP StorageWorks SDLT Tape Drive

Is it possible to have 2 HP-UX servers to connect to one HP StorageWorks SDLT Tape Drive provided that all printer drivers are on the 2 servers? If yes, what kind of peripheral I need to purchase?

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks SDLT Tape Drive

I don't believe there is any way to have both servers connected to the drive at the same time, no matter how many "printer" drivers your have. You would have to unplug it from one and plug it in to the other.

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

First of all, HP-UX has no printer drivers. That concept belongs to another OS. Secondly, I can't imagine what the significance to a printer driver is to a tape drive regardless of the OS. However, the good news is that yes, it is possible to comment two HP-UX servers to 1 tape drive. Only one host can actually use the drive at any one time but both can be physically connected and use the same drive. In fact, I have a number of hosts with exactly this setup:

Host A (SCSI HBA SCSI ID 7) ----- Tape Drive (SCSI ID 1, eg) ---- Host B (SCSI HBA, SCSI ID 6).

Termiination must be enabled on both HBA's and disabled on all other devices on the bus. The key is that one of the HBA's must change its SCSI ID from the normal 7 to 6.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bing Wong
Frequent Advisor

Sorry. I meant "tape" drivers, not printer drivers.

Second question. by using fbackup command, while a large file is being written to tape and the tape media is full, it prompts to ask for second tape. If the second tape is inserted and respond to Y by pressing ENTER key. Will that file entirely written to tape number 2? Thank you.

br_backup: Invoking fbackup. See /var/sam/log/br_log for details.
fbackup(1004): session begins on Fri Mar 10 22:00:21 2006
fbackup(1517): /net not backed up - 'n' option (NFS) not specified
fbackup(3203): volume 1 has been used 19 time(s)
fbackup(3024): writing volume 1 to the output file /dev/rmt/0m
fbackup(3003): normal EOT
fbackup(3310): enter '^[yY]' when volume 2 is ready on /dev/rmt/0m,
or '^[nN]' to discontinue:
fbackup(3004): writer aborting
fbackup(1002): Backup did not complete : Reader or Writer process exit