1752733 Members
5567 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP StorageWorks Ultrium 230 Slow to restore

David Pollack_3

HP StorageWorks Ultrium 230 Slow to restore

Hi,
We are using the above external drive to back up several servers. It is on a Windows 2000 Server machine using BackupExec as the backup software. We can usually backup up 65GB in about 9 hours. We have tried to do a restore of about 11GB directly to the server that the tape drive is attached to, and it told us it would take 26 hours to do the restore. Now I know restores generally take longer, but the throughput seems to be only abou 4MB/min. Are we missing something? Is there something we can do to remedy the slowness. I'd hate to see how long it would take to restore a whole server if it crashed.
2 REPLIES 2
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks Ultrium 230 Slow to restore

Hi,

You appear to have some very poor performance, both on backup and restore. From your message you appear to be doing backups across the network that will obviously be limited by the speed of your network and possibly explain your 65Gb in 9 hours.

The quoted figure you are getting for 11GB restore to the host server is bizarre. Is this a figure being quoted to you by BackupExec?

In most cases, performance issues are not due to the drive, but typically system setup, OS, HBA, drivers, disk IO etc.

We have a performance trouble shooting guide at the following link that might be a good starting point for you
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460&locale=en_US

If you want to check the health of your driveyou can use LTT (Library and Tape Tools) and use it to run diagnostic checks and verify your system and drive performance, this tool and a link for it is mentioned in the performance troubleshooting guide.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: HP StorageWorks Ultrium 230 Slow to restore

Hi,

Check for Doccument for lpg50354 from hp site where as have you check with any perform tools avable on site. do try to check restoration process wqith different cable.

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible