StoreEver Tape Storage
1752579 Members
3063 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive connection with HP Proliant DL380 Gen 7

Yaboto
Super Advisor

HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive connection with HP Proliant DL380 Gen 7

Hi,

1- Please which one is the best between: HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive (EH848B) and Q1539B - HP StorageWorks Ultrium 960 SCSI External Tape Drive ?

2- Can i swapp data catridges between those different types of drives? Please i just need a confirmation!

3- In case i finally choose th HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive (EH848B) to connect to my HP Proliant DL380 GEN 7,

Which SAS HBA would be more appropriate?

• HP H221 HBA (with which PCIe version? Does DL380 GEN 7 have PCIe version 3? Which version is appropriate?) or
  • HP SC08e controller

4- Should i worry about the SAS cable? or it is pre-shipped with the drive?

Thanks,

Yaboto

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive connection with HP Proliant DL380 Gen 7

Q1539B has a SCSI interface

EH848B has a SAS interface.

If the options are SCSI vs. SAS - take SAS!

Not sure if you still can get LTO-3, meanwhile LTO-7 is available.

see http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04286665.pdf?ver=44  and scroll down to additional options.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Yaboto
Super Advisor

For the HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive (EH848B) to connect to HP Proliant DL380 GEN 7, Which SAS HBA would be more appropriate?

HP H221 HBA (with which PCIe version? Does DL380 GEN 7 have PCIe version 3? Which version is appropriate?) ?

or

HP SC08e controller?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you click the link above?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Hello...

To answer your questions:

1- Please which one is the best between: HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive (EH848B) and Q1539B - HP StorageWorks Ultrium 960 SCSI External Tape Drive ? If you are looking for external tape drive, look for the 960 SCSI. The 920 and 960 come in both SCSI and SAS. the lower number signifies that it is an internal drive and the higher number signifies an external standalone drive.

2- Can i swapp data catridges between those different types of drives? Please i just need a confirmation! Yes you can

3- In case i finally choose th HP StoreEver LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS External Tape Drive (EH848B) to connect to my HP Proliant DL380 GEN 7,

Which SAS HBA would be more appropriate? The H221's are for Gen 8 and Gen 9 servers only. go for the other controller

• HP H221 HBA (with which PCIe version? Does DL380 GEN 7 have PCIe version 3? Which version is appropriate?) or
  • HP SC08e controller

Regards

Rajat Bhargava

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee