New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SureStore 2/20 & HP-UX 11.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Shapov
Occasional Contributor

HP SureStore 2/20 & HP-UX 11.0

Hello,

I am trying to configure a 2/20 library on 11.0 and the OS cannot see the library. An 'ioscan -fun' reports the SCSI card, but no attached tape library. I've recompiled the kernel to add the schgr and stape and what not. I also installed the patches for the SCSI card and shows being installed with 'swlist -R'. I also ran 'insf -e' and that didn't help. I'm stumped. Please advise! It's urgent :-\
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ron,

Please supply this information:

Server model
Type of SCSI attachment to the tape library (card product id. e.g. A4800A)
'ioscan-fn' output

Cheers
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Ron.

I think that your problem is likely to be your SCSI bus.

What type of SCSI interface does the library have (i.e. Is it LVDS or HVDS?) You can get this info by loking at the rear part of any of the two drives.

What type of SCSI interface does your host have?

If they are different then there is no way you can connect this altogether unless you use:

a) Different SCSI HBAs.
b) A SE/LVD-to-HVD SCSI converter.

Best regards.
Ron Shapov
Occasional Contributor

The card is an LVDS, as well as the bus on the tape library. I've looked at the manual to see if the LEDs on the back are appropriate, and they are (all green, solid). I did a 'ioscan -fn' and noticed :

ext_bus 4 0/10/0/0 c720 UNCLAIMED UNKNOWN PCI SCSI (10000021)

'ioscan -fun' didnt tell me this, so now I might be on the correct trail. Any suggestions?

Vince, I am pretty sure I have connected everything, and I'm not onsite right now so I'll verify this when I get back, but I think the above is the reason why.

Xavier, I did have that problem and corrected it, only to be dissapointed that the new LVDS SCSI card still doesnt work :-\
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Ron.

Which Product Number is your SCSI LVD card?

It seems that it's not a supported card or it's damaged.

Regards.
Ron Shapov
Occasional Contributor

A6828A - Single LVD SCSI

I just purchased it - I did get a flyer with the card that said I needed to install PHKL_25023 which a 'swlist -R' lists. 'swlist -l' doesn't show it, but I think thats O.K. Maybe some patches did not get installed/installed correctly? Ugh... please advise.
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

did you install the product driver from your applications cdrom? Most of the SCSI and fibre adapters require a driver installation. You should be able to insert cdrom 1 from the application set (assuming you have one). Mount the cdrom and run swinstall -s /cdrom_mountpoint. You should find a product driver that matches that part number... install that driver and reboot the server.

Ted
Ron Shapov
Occasional Contributor

Well I found http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/A6828-96001/A6828-96001_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/A6828-96001/00/00/4-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/A6828-96001/00/00/4-toc.html&searchterms=A6828A&queryid=20021014-102120 and am going to install the c8xx driver (which is currently not in the kernel). I hope after I do that and reboot, it will be seen. I have to wait afterhours to do so, I'll report back.
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

looks good... we have installed several various adpater cards and they almost always need this step... and when the card ships this information is not always included. I think you will be good to go as soon as the product driver is in place... good luck

Ted