1752277 Members
4561 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore 220mx Firmware error

Sally Sprague
Occasional Contributor

HP SureStore 220mx Firmware error

I was uploading a firmware upgrade to a Surestore 220mx through L&TT. The firmware download failed, now my device says NEED CODE and I cannot talk to it through L&TT. Do I need service or is there away around this?
5 REPLIES 5
Gennaro Tarone_2
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP SureStore 220mx Firmware error

What version of L&TT were you using & what OS were you running it from? Being a former HP CE I have seen L&TT report a firmware download failure but inacuallity the firmware did download & restarting L&TT will re-establish communication. Wait you say your DEVICE says Need CODE. If the the Surestore itself says it Needs Code even after you power cycled then it sounds like you need to open a service call the firmware upgrade seems to have corrupted the devices firmware file & it doesn't recogize the code it has. I would also send an e-mail to L&TT through their web site you can get support for L&TT & ask about your problem. Include your version of L&TT your OS the exact product number of you Surstore 220mx, the version of firmware you were upgrading from & the version you were upgrading to. Also exactly how you downloaded the firmware in the first place. (ie. did L&TT identify your device properly & then search for updates for you by devices connected to your system?) I have seen in the past L&TT id the wrong type of device & therby you download the wrong type of firmware but this was with older versions of L&TT.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

If you restart L&TT while the unit is this state, it should enter 'restricted mode'. You should get a popup to that extend during device selection.

In restricted mode, L&TT will disable the firmware file selection criteria, and you should be able to select the firmware file without a password and redo the firmware update, which should get you up and going.

If for whatever reason the restricted mode doesn't kick in, you can start L&TT, then go under the function menu and select 'manual product identification', select the MO library module, and then start the firmware update. This may require a password which you can request from HP support.

Jan
L&TT Team
Sally Sprague
Occasional Contributor

Thanks but the server dosen't even see the Surestore jukebox on the scsi any longer so L&TT doesn't see it. This is Windows 2000, lastest version of L&TT, and I scanned the device and L&TT said the firmware was out of date, downloaded the new firmware and then failed with the update. The Jukebox itself says "NEED CODE" I will open a service call on Monday. Thanks for the help....
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Sally,

The jukebox should still be on the bus. None of the drives will be, because the drive power is turned off in this state.

However, when the unit is in this state, it will default to target id 6. If you have any other devices on the bus which may also be at target id 6, you may have a bus conflict, which could explain why the unit doesn't show up on the bus.

Jan
L&TT Team
Sally Sprague
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jan for the info, but it isn't showing on the scsi bus. My other 2 devices have ids of: Location 2 (PCI bus 1, device 4, function 0)and PCI bus 4, device 3, function 0. I am still lost...