5266 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore DAT 24i C1537A not accepting DDS3 tapes

SOLVED
Go to solution
alan brown_3

HP SureStore DAT 24i C1537A not accepting DDS3 tapes

My tape drive will not accept DDS3 tapes but will accept DDS1.
The DDS3 tapes load and then eject after about 10 secs.
I have used storage tools to test drive and it tests o.k but it still will not allow DDS3 tapes to load.I have the latest firmware on drive and have tried new cleaning tape and new DDS3 tapes.
I have been using DDS3 and DDS1 tapes before but the problem has just occured.
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SureStore DAT 24i C1537A not accepting DDS3 tapes

If the Cartridge is ejected immediately (you said 10 sec) I suspect that the drive is not recognizing the cartridge format via Recognition System.
There is some hoole in the back of the cartridge that is used to identify the cartridge format. These are tested by some microswitches inside the drive, and if the combination do not correnspond to a know/supported cartridge, the system will eject it.
Be sure that the cartridges are DDS3, and not DDS4 or DDS5.
If these are the cartridges you used before, I think that some dust may have impacted the funtionality of one of these microsiwtches. if you close the hole in the DDS3 cartridge in order to match the DDS1 patern, and the cartridge is now loaded, you have found the culpit. Open the unit and delicately clean the switches, or if under warranty, ask for an exchange

marino
alan brown_3

Hi
I have checked the holes on DDS3 and DDS1.
There are 3 holes for tape recognition.
The 1st and 3rd hole are open for DDS3 and 2nd hole closed.
The 2nd hole is open for DDS1 and the 1st and 3rd closed.
I cannot open second hole on DDS3 as it is blocked off.
I have checked micro switches on the drive and can see that they are operating ok but cannot check if the internal circuit on micro switches are ok.
alan brown_3

Hi Marino
I have opened 2nd hole on DDS3 and blocked off 1st and 3rd hole and DDS3 loads ok.
It looks like I have a fault on one of the micro switches and I am out of warranty.
Can the drive be repaired if it out of warranty.

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Alan,

What I can suggest is to clean with air the microswitch, several time, dust is causing this issue. If you are able to open it, you will see that it is easy to clean
alan brown_3

Hi Marino
I have managed to get a compressed air canister and cleaned the microswitch as you recommended.
Now I can read my DDS3 tapes .
Thank you very much for your help.

Merry Christmas

Alan