New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore DLT VS80 Failing on backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Dick
Occasional Advisor

HP SureStore DLT VS80 Failing on backup

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks our tape backups have been failing. We use Veritas 9.1. Weekly backups to disk have been successful.

In the application event log we have been getting various errors ...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date: 11/09/2006
Time: 14:20:08
User: N/A
Computer: NWTMASTERSERVER
Description:
Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "BNCHMARK 1"
{844BCA11-F2B3-405D-A278-DCA53F12C512}
Media = "DLT000001"
{78D607A8-0037-4E02-9E2C-BB0D40A9BE59}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0008: 00 00 00 00 00 00 ......

and ...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date: 11/09/2006
Time: 11:34:14
User: N/A
Computer: NWTMASTERSERVER
Description:
Adamm Mover Error: Read Position Failure!
Error = ERROR_CRC
Drive = "BNCHMARK 1"
{844BCA11-F2B3-405D-A278-DCA53F12C512}
Media = "DLT000001"
{78D607A8-0037-4E02-9E2C-BB0D40A9BE59}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0008: 00 00 00 00 00 00 ......

We have flashed the tape drive with the newest firmware (v065), installed genuine HP drivers (3.0.2.0 - 24/02/05) and still it fails randomly. We have not had a successful backup since 04/09/06.

In Veritas, we get the following error:

Storage device "BNCHMARK 1" reported an error on a request to write (or sometimes read) data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

The drive fails LTT. I have attached the ticket.

We have not interfered with any hardware within the system the drive is housed.

Could it be that the VS80 is broken?

I have attached the ticket from LTT.

Thanks,

Andy
12 REPLIES 12
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SureStore DLT VS80 Failing on backup

Hi Andy,
is this in internal or external device? Please check termination and cables.
Andy Dick
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

This is an internal device. I have opened the case and checked all cables and also checked the BIOS settings. The drive is picked up successfully at boot. The tape drive will sometimes complete successfully for a few days then start failing with hard write / read errors.

We have used this drive without incident for the last three years.

Thanks,

Andy
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

do you get the error message on different tapes or is it only on one tape all the time?
Is it possible to check the unit with an other SCSI cable ( including TERM )? What kind of event / ID├В┬┤s are in Windows eventlog?
Marco Ortega
Occasional Advisor

Andy,

first HP recommends that you use Veritas drivers and not HPs since they are customized by the software. Is it possible for you to install and run LTT(HPs diagnostic tool) which can help you isolate if this is a hw issue(drive) or software issue? the LTT tool can be downloaded from www.hp.com/support/tapetools. Also make sure that you have cleaned the drive with the correct VS80 or DLT1 cleaning tape since a standard DLT cleaning tape will damage the heads on this drive. If the drive fails the LTT tests then it could be that the drive heads are damaged or worn and so the drive will need to be replaced. Be sure and use new media for the LTT tests to avoid the failures being caused by bad media.

-Marco

Andy Dick
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, the errors occur on any tape inserted - I have tried brand new tapes and still had the error. I'll purchase new cables and terminators and test this in due course.

Secondarily, I have ran LTT and the drive fails - I attached the ticket to my initial post. We have also tried the Veritas drives and they caused the hardware to "fail" thus requiring a reboot of our server. THe drive would then operate successfully for a day or so and the fail again.

Thanks again!

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor
Solution

This is an Internal DLT VS80 drive with IO errors.

Best suggestions:
1) Always use the latest Vettias drivers and latest service packs

2) replace the internal terminating calbe and ensure correct termination type, cables do go bad sometimes

3) what SCSI card are you using? it should be a PCI HBA (not raid card) and the drive should be isolated on the bus

4) it is possible for a device to work for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years in a non-optimal setup

5) IO issues are communication problems, and rarely mean hardware falure

6) running LTT testing on a drive with system conflicts will cause false test results in the form of a failed assessment test etc.

7) I don't believe it is your media, consistant IO issues are not caused by bad media.

8) make sure RSM is not causing problems. if this service has been started by accident you will have to mnaully disable it again and make sure it is stopped to ensure proper device communications.

HP Storageworks Tape Backup ├в Resolving Issues Caused by RSM
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00023443&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

A basic description of the RSM issue, valid in Win 2000 and 2003:
Removable Storage Manager (RSM) in Windows Server
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_OT040301_CW01

Andy Dick
Occasional Advisor

Hi again,

Thanks for all the replys.

I've now installed Veritas 5.0.11 drivers.

The Tape drive is the only device on an Adaptec 29160N card which is a HBC ard I think.

RSM is not started and its startup type is Manual.

I will run a test tonight and post any errors encountered.

Andy

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Andy;

Any update on this?
Andy Dick
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

sorry for not replying recently (I've been off work ill).

I was asked by management to create a quarterly backup to be kept offsite. I decided to use the HP drive as it had been behaving recently. Half way through the backup it began making some terrible grinding noises and threw a I/O error. The device then went offline.

I will reboot and fit the new SCSI cabling and terminators tomorrow but I really think the drive is at fault here. Backups to external Hard drive complete without issue so it certainly isn't the software (Veritas BE 9.1).

Thanks again

Andy