3207 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore E 2/20 Tape Library

Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

HP SureStore E 2/20 Tape Library

Hello All,

I have an HP SureStore E 2/20 Tape Library that we have been using in production for many months, using Legato software.

Recently I have had problems with Legato not picking up tapes to perform the normal backups. When reviewing the front panel of the SureStore 2/20 the "Map" shows ????????? for multiple slots, while showing the proper bar code numbers for the rest of the slots. When I have it re-inventory the tapes, it picks up some of the slots where the ???????? exists and puts the proper tape number and then throws ???????? on other slots.

I am running firmware version 1.14.0 and I think this might be a hardware issue. When I call my support rep, he wants to come out and replace the device. I wanted to check with other HP admins out there that might have run into this problem in the past. Any ideas? Thanks.

- Mike
The network is the computer, yeah I stole it from Sun, so what?
2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP SureStore E 2/20 Tape Library

Hi Mike,

I have seen only two conditions that will cause this:
1) Bad camera - so HP guy is correct
2) Dirty/Smudged/Mispositioned on Cartridge
Barcode labels

Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Mike Hassell
Respected Contributor

Re: HP SureStore E 2/20 Tape Library

Clay,

Not sure how I managed to ask this question in the database forum :) Well we'll see what the result is when our HP rep comes in this Sunday to replace the drive. I've checked to ensure the bar codes are clean and are placed on the tapes themselves correctly, so maybe it's a bad camera. Thanks for your response, as I still have faith in the hardware itself.

- Mike
The network is the computer, yeah I stole it from Sun, so what?