StoreEver Tape Storage
1753719 Members
6065 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore Tape AutoLoader 1/9 Scsi-problem !

Mats Larsson
Occasional Contributor

HP SureStore Tape AutoLoader 1/9 Scsi-problem !

Hi,

Recently I posted to this forum about a problem I had with our Autoloader not writing backups correctly to tape. A reply told me to replace the drive due to a well known hardwareerror (FIFO-memory).

I did get the drice replaced and everything seemed to work fine for a couple of days until I get messages in the log of ArcServe 2000 that the drive couldn't write to the tape.
I rebooted the computer and autoloader but now the computer couldn't find the drive nor the library.
After a couple of more reboots the computer told me that the controller or cable might be faulty.
I have been a bit suspicious about the cable a couple of times before.
So I instantly ordered a new cable. Just a standard 68-pin cable not a spare part from HP.
Now when booting the SCSI-adapter finds both devices (Hp and Quantum) BUT when NT4 Server has booted I??m told that one driver or more failed during boot.

The event log contains this:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
qntmdlt

A parity error was detected on \Device\ScsiPort2.

A parity error was detected on \Device\ScsiPort2.

Under Scsi-adapters in controlpanel I find HP C7145-8000. I'm not sure if i??m supposed to find anything more.

When entering Tape Devices under controlpanel it tells me point to a new driver. The old one won't start.

Any ideas ? Is the cable that originally is delivered along with the tapedrive a special cable ? Won't any 68-pin scsi-cable do ?

Please reply if you have any ideas. Our backup is down right now and backup is VERY important to us.

Many thanks in advance !
/Mats
It's never to late to give up...
3 REPLIES 3
Breider
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP SureStore Tape AutoLoader 1/9 Scsi-problem !

Mats,
I'm not sure whether you are running LVD or HVD, or what your cable length is, but that may be the problem, or the shielding in the cable could be a problem. I would recommend an HP multi-mode cable for your application.
To answer some of your other questions, you should see the Quantum tape device in the list for the HBA in SCSI-Devices, right under the HP library. If it's not there, than the OS was not able to reliably communicate with that device, which makes sense with the messages you are getting in the event log.
I would suggest checking your total cable length, route your cables away from anything that may be causing interference, and check EVERY connection for any bent pins, including your terminator. These connectors are very fragile, and bent pins will cause hours of frustration!

-Barry
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Other than being extensively testing for regulatory issues and being qualified by electrical and mechanical engineers there isn't anything special about the cable shipped with that autoloader. Any 68 pin cable should work if it meets the SCSI spec. It is possible that it may not pass RFI emissions testing but that won't effect operation.

You should see both the autochanger controller and the drive in your SCSI devices listing. You indicate that only the controller is showing on the bus. Having a parity error but having the controller still show on the bus means that there is a problem with the wide portion of the SCSI bus. That usually means a problem with the SCSI cables or terminator. Occasionally it is the HBA or the drive. Since you have already replaced the drive and just installed a new cable I would suspect the new cable first but having previous write failures could mean something is wrong with the HBA.
Gert_6

Hi, you must take care about the terminator, all the time, and you need some power, to fasten it inside the plug. If its not strongly pushed into the plug you may run into trouble like you are.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

We have a lot of experience with Compaq and HP Libraries, allways the same problems.

Gert