StoreEver Tape Storage
1752842 Members
3549 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SureStore Ultrium 215e Help!

Chris Lindler

HP SureStore Ultrium 215e Help!

I am running Winnt4.0 w/SP6a on a HP NetServerII and just installed a HP SureStore Ultrium 215e (C7421A). Now when I run a backup with Veritas Backup Exec I get a strange blue screen with the message ***Hardware Malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support***The system has halted***.
I'm at a loss! Any suggestions on what may be causing this?
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SureStore Ultrium 215e Help!

Either the install of the drivers for the tape drive clobbered a veritas dll, or a dll that veritas was using. It's one of those M$ features, like playing russian roulette with an uzi.

Have you tried any other software on the tape drive other than veritas? If that works, then try reinstalling the veritas software.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
what is the model of your server?
on which controller is connected the 215e?
did this bles sccreen apear at boot time or when lauching a task?

bye
marino
Chris Lindler

It is a Netserver LH II Dual PII/266 Mhz 256 MB with an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI PCI card. The blue screen occurs randomly while running the backup. Seems to happen more during a verify. Blue screen also happened when using HP Library and Tape Tools so I don't think it's the software.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi Chris
LH ii is an old eisa server, the Ultium can manage lots of data (15 mb/s) the 29160 also, be sure to have put the controller in a slot which didn't share irq with other device (integrated scsi controller ...)
also check with PAT if the system cand deliver enough data to get the ultrim in streaming mode.
bye
Graham Rawolle
Occasional Advisor

I agree with meloni. I think it is a problem with shared IRQs. I've had similar problems with NT 4.0 Server with an Adaptec SCSI controller with just NTBackup. I resolved the problem by ensuring that the SCSI controller had its own IRQ. Be aware that some PCI slots share interrupts with AGP video slot etc. NT4 does not like shared IRQ's, especially for SCSI and network cards.