StoreEver Tape Storage
1752805 Members
5737 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Surestore 2/20 With an Ultrium 1 Drive and Netbackup 3.4.1

David_198

HP Surestore 2/20 With an Ultrium 1 Drive and Netbackup 3.4.1

I have 2 of the above tape libraries and I am using Netbackup 3.4.1 on Windows 2000. I can't seem to get the 15 m/sec speed that the drive is supposed to be capable of. I am SCSI attached with a 39160 card from Adaptec.Each drive has it's own SCSI card. Veritas's tech's suspect the SCSI cards, but I don't think that is the issue. Does anyone else have this same problem? The maximum speed I get on the drives is about 5-7 m/sec.
6 REPLIES 6

Check the firmware revs on the ultrium drives... early ultrium firmware versions suffered from performance issues.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
David_198

I have the newest Firmware that HP has available. I have checked about every week just to be sure that there was no postings that were directly linked to my specific circumstances. I wish there was an easy solution on this one. I have been working on it since December with Veritas support.
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hi David,

May I suggest the following ?

- Run the Performance assessment tool on your windows 2000 host which will test you filesystem capabillities and returns a MB/sec value for the maximum that your system is capable of delivering. The Performance Asessment Tool is available here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/pat12.exe

- Go into the BIOS (ctrl-A) setup for the 39160 SCSI HBA's and set the transfer rates for the Ultrium tape devices to a fixed 80 MB/sec.

I have seen instances where the SCSI HBA negotiated the speed between HBA and tape device all the way down to 0MB/sec leading to terribly slow backups.

Hope this helps,

-Eric
David_198

I have tried the Performance Assesment test and got about 7Mg/sec on the system. The I tried it on about a dozen other servers and the output was exactly the same on all of my servers, so I tried it on a few low end workstations and got the same output. 7Mg/sec. I'm not sure if this tool is absolute for performance, because there was a huge variation between the processors, memory, and Drive configurations on the test subjects. The only thing that was the same is that all of the test subjects were Dells.
Robert Bean
Advisor

Not knowing what Dell you have or scsi controller you have it attached to makes it a bit difficult to asess the problem more accurately. We do know that we have performance issues with some Dell computers & our stand alone units as well as the autoloader, so I would recommend that you go to that site to see if you have one of the models that does not support Ultrium technology. The compatabilty URL for you is:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/hardware/ultrium-dell/index.html
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I have done some performance tests with LTO drives on W2000/NT and HP-UX. In general it was hard to reach the same performance with W2000/NT as with HP-UX. With HP-UX I could easy reach 30 MB/s (compressed) and with NT/W2000 about 15-20MB/s. The servers, data and disk system was about equal.

Some ideas.
- What type of data (small files, big files,databases etc). It is hard to reach good performance with small files).

- Check the CPU load during backup. High load can indicate a server bottleneck, low load there is probably a file system bottleneck (disk performance, fragmentation, great number of small files etc.).