StoreEver Tape Storage
1748146 Members
3648 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.0 and MSL5052

HP-UX 11.0 and MSL5052

rp5430 with 3 PCI Tachyon FC Adapters (A6795). Driver's loaded. 2 Tachyons connected to DS2405, the last one to the optional FC card on MSL5052 Ultrium Tape Library. All adapters connected directly. DS2405 works well, but I cannot see MSL. Offline Diagnostics (ODE) stops when it trying (MAPPER2) to access this device - /0/8/0/0.

In this case I cannot find devices (CLAIMED or UNCLAIMED) in HP-UX for this link.
The library works properly. I can connect via LAN to integrated 10BaseT adapter, move cartridge, clean drive...

What I did wrong?
12 REPLIES 12
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

do you have autochanger driver in the kernel enabled? you may want to enable the driver to be able to see anything on that path.

I've included all (I hope) drivers like: spt, sctl, schrg (except autox0 - MO Autochanger). But what about ODE? It knows nothing about drivers. It just checks inventory (MAPPER2). May be it is not possibly to connect this library directly?
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

If it is directly connected then you may want to check the type of fiber (i mean fabric or loop) setup on that library. I have sen that by default at least on Spectra it was fabric whereas my card was on loop and I had to change spectra to loop to get it to see the devices.

Check the card by fcmsutil and see what it is set as(loop or point to point) and also check the port on library.

Other thing is to check the fiber itself. fiber cable may be bad itself which you can easily check by seeng LEDs on HP.

Try these and I will think some more things meanwhile..
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

can you connect any other disk array port to this fiber card and check if fiber card is okay?
If you have alternate path enabled on two working fiber cards for disks then take one connection of those fiber card out and connect the library on that and see if it gets sensed..
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Two suggestions: Power off the server and disk array and restart and reinitialize the array first. Then, after its fully up, power up the server.

Also use the "...fcmsutil..." command to check for light in the fiber. Here's how you do that:

ioscan -fknC fc
note the /dev/td devices and their state, any NO_HW or UNCLAIMED?

fcmsutil /dev/td0, 1, 2, 3
Note these paramters:

Loss of signal (* Light in the fiber? *)
nportid,
wwn,
BadTx Char Count,
Los of sync count,
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law

I've checked: the cables - OK,
adapters - OK. Please, have a look what "fcmsutil" answers.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Your FC card is not working. Your topology can only be point to point, switched fabric or arbitrated loop. Reseed you FC cards. Is the power LED on?

Check out this link and statement:

UNINITIALIZED. The host bus adapter not could converge to a common link speed or adapter is not connected.

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3921-90010/B3921-90010_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3921-90010/00/05/524-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3921-90010/00/05/524-toc.html&searchterms=Topology%7cUNINITIALIZED%7cfcmsutil&queryid=20030315-015928
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

I would guess that your fiber port setting on library has some misconfigurations. Can you go to the fiber port setting on library and set it right using its manual right from step one to the end.

There are various settings on library before you can see its robotics and drives from server.

testing the library by telneting to it on its lan card is not enough for saying that it is 100% configured for use with server.Your fcmsutil simply says that the card can not see anything attached to it. And I would guess the settings on fiber port of library being incorrect.

I would still start with a quick test for narrowing down the problem which would be to connect one of the working FC cards to the library.
Of course you can only do that if you have dual path to the same disk from these cards.

There are 2 LED on A6795A:
PWR/ACT: GREEN
LNK/SPD: AMBER.
The documentation for FC Mass Storage says: FC link is 1Gb speed, No action required.

On MSL Tape library link is UP.

I've tried connect library to another FC adapter, but with the same results ("fcmsutil" returns - Previous Topology = UNINITIALIZED). In this case it isn't possibly to send "echo" command.

May be something wrong with optional FC card inside library?