New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.00 + autoloader 1/8

SOLVED
Go to solution
P. Overduin
Advisor

HP-UX 11.00 + autoloader 1/8

Hi,

I have an urgent problem with a new Surestore 1/8 DLT auto changer. I installed it as a replacement for an old and defective QTM4500S loader.
Installation went well, the robot is responding perfectly, but it is impossible to write to a loaded tape. I keep getting error messages like ???unable to write??? and so on. When using fbackup it seems to go right, first the message: unable to read tape header (new tape), then it looks like it is writing the header, but frecover can???t read it. I tried dd, the drive is responding (green light is flickering), but it returns with an IO-error. My supplier is unable to find the problem, and so am I! Help would be appreciated!
B.t.w. I use new tapes, tried at&t and Berkley, checked all with lssf, ioscan, lsdev etc. SCSI id is o.k., dedicated and so on. The QTM used to work fine.

Peter
7 REPLIES 7
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
Do uou have another tape device to test with. It can be a problem with the HBA or the cables ?
P. Overduin
Advisor

Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

try and use mt to get a status report on the drive:

mt -f /dev/rmt/1m status

anything of interest? I think a status of [0] would indicate it passes that check and it should be available. Maybe you have a bad head on the tape drive.... can the supplier swap it out?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Does the time stamp of the EMS message correspond to the failed "dd" command?

The EMS event says an illegal request was sent to the drive. There was an invalid field in the cdb (command descriptor block). The event info says:

Physical Device Path....: 0/3/0/0.3.0
Inquiry Vendor ID.......: HP
Inquiry Product ID......: C9264CB-VS80

That's LUN 0 on ID 3, which is the drive portion of the autoloader.

So, I'd think this is a configuration issue (as the EMS summary says), and not something wrong with the autoloader or drive.

Is the VS80 1/8 autoloader supported on HP-UX?
The journey IS the reward.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You didn't tell us the server on which the 1/8 autoloader is attached to...

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Peter,

I'm fairly sure this product is not supported on HP-UX right now.

I checked the solution finder, and the 1/8 VS80 + HPUX says:

"The product configuration that you have chosen is not currently supported by the software vendor(s) you have selected. Please contact your HP Representative for additional information and supported configurations"

Is there some documentation that lead you to believe it is supported on HP-UX?

Note: this doesn't mean it won't work, it just means we haven't tested it and say it's supported. There could be some other problem (e.g. configuration) causing the problem you are having.

The journey IS the reward.
P. Overduin
Advisor

David, Vincent, Ted,

Thanks for all the reply's!

Unfortunately David is right! The 1/8 autochanger is not supported (at the moment).
My HP-rep allready contacted the supplier, they are working on a solution.

Thanks again,