Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Ultrium-1 Firmware Update Errors

Stewart Farquhar
Occasional Advisor

HP Ultrium-1 Firmware Update Errors

Hi,
I have recently purchased 3 used HP Ultrium-1 SCSI tape drives, but all three have errors on them, namely:

a) Two of the drives have a firmware of E15V/OEM12 and I cant find the firmware anywhere for these. I have tried LT&T tool to download all recent FW updates. Does anyone know what OEM12 the vendor is?

b) Of the above drives, one is reading/writing but needs cleaned. I have used the HP C7978A cleaning tape but it immediately ejects this. I have seen this before when using an out of date firmware version, but this traces back to finding the latest firmware version again!

c) The third drive has been updated to the latest E31E FW update (a Dell rebadged unit) but this also immediately ejects both the cleaning tape and any normal LTO tape.

Can anyone assist? I have included the LT&T ticket logs. I am at my wits end ;-(
4 REPLIES
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Ultrium-1 Firmware Update Errors

all looks like they all are Dell products, probably one is a standalone the other two are for a library use.
They need cleaning, probably your cleaning cartridge is expired, try it in another working ultrium to be sure.
there are not other problem reading quickly the logs, so probably once fixed the cleaning request you may use them without problems
Stewart Farquhar
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply. but i have tried two new cleaning tapes with the same ejection error straight away. is there a cleaning tape that does not have the chip installed that will work on all lto-1 drives?
Stewart Farquhar
Occasional Advisor

Just an update. I found they were from a Dell PowerVault 128T so I have updated the firmware. Thanks for the reply. All sorted at the moment.
Stewart Farquhar
Occasional Advisor

thanks for reply