1752643 Members
5647 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP VS80 DLT drive

Iain Shand

HP VS80 DLT drive

Hi,

I'm having real problems with our recently purchased HP VS80 DLT drive. Windows 2000 server keeps reporting the drive under other devices and is listed as:

HP```VS8P````SCSI Sequential Device

I have run the lastest version of Library and tape tools and it lists the drive as above and un-supported.

Veritas backup Exec v9.1 reports the same. I've tried installing various windows drivers to no avail.

Any advice appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: HP VS80 DLT drive

Hi,
Try to use Veritas drivers for this device - it is strongly recommended from Veritas point of view.
regards,
Andrzej
Iain Shand

Hi,

Already tried installing the veritas drivers. This seems to make the DLT drive dissapper from the Device Manager but is not useable in Veritas.

The drive is not present in the remote storage snap-in either.
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

When server starts, you can see it on SCSI bus? From Veritas point of view removable storage service have to be disabled.
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

>>HP```VS8P````SCSI Sequential Device

1.Check your connection (i,e. SCSI CABLE,power etc)
2.Look for any bent pins
4.Try to use another cables for isolations.
3.Use dedicated SCSI card. (recommended)

Hope it helps.
"You should be working"
Iain Shand

Thanks, I'll try a new cable. That's about the only thing that hasn't changed.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree with the last answer, this king of problem (the enquiry name coming up distorted) is tipical of bad scsi communication, one of the line is not working, and then the enquiry string name is distorted due to a bit missing.
Usualy the cause is a bent pin on the cable, but check also for the terminator, it may be the cause.

Marino
Jeffrey Willemsen
Frequent Advisor

Could also be the firmware of the drive is damaged ... you could reflash it through Library and Tape Tools.

Grt,
Jeffrey
Don't change a working configuration
Iain Shand

Hi,

Turns out the problem was solved by upgrading the BIOS on the 6m RAID card to 7.10.18.

The drive now works as intended buy HP do not recommend connecting a DLT drive to a card with a disk array (even though it's on a different channel)

Long term we will be purchasing a dedicated SCSI card for the drive to hang off.

Thanks for all the help.