StoreEver Tape Storage
1748169 Members
4260 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE StoreOpen on Mac - no longer can store files 4GB

hdeditor

HPE StoreOpen on Mac - no longer can store files 4GB

As recently as March 3, 2017  I was able to write files greater than 4 GB in file size to my HPLTO6 6250 tape drive, wh

ich is very important as I am backing up large video files.  I am using the HPE StoreOpen Standalone GUI to work with my tapes.

Somehow, within the last month, soemthing has changed.  When I try and copy a file bigger that 4 GB it now says these files cannot be copied because they are "too large for the volume's format."  Why would this be?  I don't believe I have changed anything except perhaps the MacOS.  I am not sure how to even begin troubleshooting.  Any help out there would be great.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Fuse for MacOS 3.5.8

HPE StoreOpen Standalone 3.2.0 for Mac

Using the standard, purple, Ultrium 6.25 TB tapes

12 REPLIES 12
sfriedma

Has you resolved this issue? I have the same unit and I'm about to use it for the same purpose but HP's website isn't working for downloading software. Is there any chance you can upload and send any software relating to the HP StoreEver LTO-6 Ultrium 6250. HP support is worthless. I'm looking specifically for HPE StoreOpen Standalone 3.2.0 and HPE Library and Tape Tools (hpe_ltt424_mac.dmg). Let me know if you can assist. Thanks

Steven

PatriotNW
Occasional Advisor

I have had the. same experience, and am getting very frustrated. Everything was working just fine until just the last couple of weeks. Now I can't write anything larger than 4GB. I tried updating to the latest Mac OS to see if that helped, which it did not. Reformatted the whole computer with latest OS, drivers, and StoreOpen software. Nothing. Using LTO 5 w/Ultrium tapes.

In fact, it got worse, because in the new OS, StoreOpen wouldn't even mount the LTO on the desktop. Sierra now prevents things from mounting in the /Volumes section. After lots of struggling and research, I figured out that I had to enter a manual mount point as "tmp/LTO" and then it at least showed up on the desktop. But, still no luck writing anything bigger than 4GB...

My LTO workflow is dead in the water.

PatriotNW
Occasional Advisor

HPE? Any word on a fix for this?

ronalith
Visitor

After much struggle I can tell you what we've done so far. We're having the same problems as you guys with our tape.

• Considering rolling back to mac os 10.10 or something older and see if compatibility is fine. If you guys feel like it I'd say this could be the best option.
  • Considering to wait for a driver update. It might take a long while though.
  • Considering buying YoYotta software for tape management. We know for sure this option works, it's pricy but reliable.
  • Currently we're not using finder for any tape operations but replaced it by Commander One. Unfortunatelly, even with it finder sometimes messes up the tape and we have to start over / formatting and copying from scratch. As it only takes to browse to get finder stuck on a loop.
  • As mentioned, we also changed the tape mount point to  ~/LtoMount/ or whatever folder you prefer under your User's control. Alternatively you can mount on /Volumes running HPE StoreOpen as root.
  • Considering to create a separate station for footage dumping with Windows or Linux.
PatriotNW
Occasional Advisor

I get the feeling HP isn't actually reading any of this.

I did try using the demo version of PreRollPost, which works with LTFS. But it's also $500 (on the cheaper end of the spectrum). It really doesn't make sense that HP StoreOpen has bombed like this though. Come on... 4GB file size limits are so 1990's... what's the solution HP?

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

HPE is aware of this posting and the StoreOpen team has been looking into it but so far they haven't been able to reproduce the issue so can't provide any solid guidance on what you could do.  They're continuing to look.

Testing so far has been with Sierra (10.12.5) and has been run with OSXFUSE 3.5.5 which was the version used during previous qualification testing and has been repeated with OSXFUSE 3.5.8.  They report that they were able to successfully copy files of 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB to/from the LTFS volume.  Testing was done with test tools, the command prompt 'cp', using Finder copy/paste, and using an application (they didn't say which) - all cases passed.

They said that they saw a comment in the release notes of OSXFUSE 3.5.7 that referred to a change in a file system size limit which might be related to what you are seeing but OSXFUSE 3.5.8 passed the testing so it isn't clear that is related.

If you are able to, you may want to try an OSXFUSE version before 3.5.7 and see what happens.

The team also indicated that if you were able to enable logging, try a large file operation that fails, then either send the log to the support email or post it here then they might be able to figure out more.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

ronalith
Visitor

I'm assuming that to get in touch with support, you have to have a standing support account? I tried to contact them and they only offered to extend my warranty but that's more than $1k.

My previous test was with Sierra 10.12.4, FUSE 3.5.4 (the one attached with StoreOpen 3.2.0) and FUSE 3.5.8.

Using command prompt 'cp' works. Finder doesn't. I will try to test on 10.12.5 and FUSE 3.5.7 and if possible attach the log here. Thanks!

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

As a free utility the StoreOpen support process is less formal than typical for HPE products.  Best effort support is offered via direct contact and the information on that process is in the HPE StoreOpen Standalone User Guide in the Support and other resources section.

I'll pass on the information you posted.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

ronalith
Visitor

I can confirm now that testing finder under 10.12.5 and FUSE 3.5.6 & .8 (there is no 3.5.7) still gives "The item "xxx" can't be copied because it is too large for the volume's format." I tried contacting support but the email referenced on the manual seems to not exist anymore or not active. Feel free to send it over privately if you can!