108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware compression and tape library

SOLVED
Go to solution
Boon Shin
Advisor

Hardware compression and tape library

I was just wondering if there is anyway we can see that a tape drives' hardware compression is turned off without physically looking at the DLT drive. As for DDS drive, I am not sure how to determine as well.

In addition, I am wondering if anybody used the HP Surestore e-Library 2/20. If so, how do you determine if hardware compression is turned on? I noticed that the library interface indicates that hardware compression is of but I suspect that the web interface may be reporting the wrong things.

TIA.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should be using Diagnostics software
for this.

download it for free from
software.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/

when installed run
mstm
Select your device with spacebar then
select tools->information->run from the
main menu. This should report more than
you need.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
The instruction from Bill are correct.
We use a StorageTek Timberwolf and a DLT4/40
as tape libraries here. When we tried to check the status of the drives, we were told to do so by the HP technicians.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes

.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Boon Shin
Advisor

Thanks Bill and Alexander. One more question. What if the tape device is attached to a NT server? What is the utility that we can use? Is it top tools?
Mark van Silfhout
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

For NT, you can use HP Library and Tape Tools (98/NT/2000), go to http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hpsurestor9686_swen.html and download the software (it works for DLT & DDS drives).

Regards,

Mark