4908 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help Regarding MSL6030 Library Cabling with NSR

Satish Kumar_5
Regular Advisor

Help Regarding MSL6030 Library Cabling with NSR

Hi All,

I have a MSL 6030 Tape Library with Single LTO 460 Drive.I need help regrding cabling of the same with NSR.Can anybody please tell me how to do the cabling.I have 2 SCSI cable and one terminator.i have connected one end to 1st SCSI connector on Drive and Other end to Library Controller.i have installed the terminator to the other connector on Library controller.Then i connected 2nd connector on Drive to SCSI connector on NSR. but its not working. Please help as documentation doesn't contain steps to connect 1 drive also.

Thanks for your help in Advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
For single drive configuration you can simply chain the controller and drive to one channel. The connection you mentioned should work. Ensure the connector polarity.
The problem may be "map" settings on the NSR.
Refer to NSR document. Change indexed map to an auto assigned map and configure a Port-0 map look similar to auto assigned map.
Activate only port-0 & auto assigned.

also check your Zone settings in fabric.

You can also test library if you have free SCSI port on the server by connecting it direct.

Regads
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Satish,

Your connection seems to be ok. You acually have to create NSR maps, one for Windows and another for UNIX.

The map for windows will contain NSR as one of its device. The map should be assigned to the corresponding WWN numbers of the server HBAs.

Only then can you see the library devices. Also ask from your HP representative for the SAN checklist to eliminate backup related problems in HP-UX/Windows environment.

Lwt us know more about the OS versions you have on this SAN.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Satish Kumar_5
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot for ur valueble suggestion.You guys were right and it was a mapping issue only.i have 2 DL380 server connected with MSA 1K with embaded switch and librry is also connected to the same switch.the map is indexed.i have created a Device 0 map while i was creating the map somehow one host wwn appeared and i created a indexed map for that host.Now i can see the library from this host only.My requirement is that i want to have the backup run from both Servers.the other server is not at all able to see the library.please help how can i make it show on both servers.server are running windows 2k advance Server with MS cluster.
Thanks again for your time.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

First be sure that the second host is logged to the switch and that the zoning is ok. in this case, the wwn should appear in the list itself, or after a discovery.
If you cannot have it discovered, you can still add the wwn by hand, and assign a map.
Do you have just one swithc on the MSA or two? are both server connected to the same?

marino
Satish Kumar_5
Regular Advisor

Thanks Marino,

I have only one MSA Switch and both servers and Library is connected to the same switch. i havn't done any zoning in MSA switch.

Regs,
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

try to issue some FC discovey on the nsr, and check if the server is logged on the switch (nsshow ?)
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Satish,
I ran a couple of times in a problem very close to yours.

Try this:
-run a discovery of new devices form your server (ioscan or windows device manager). It will discover nothing
-go to the NSR and seek for the new server's WWN
-in case the WWN is magically appeared, assign its proper map
-rerun a discovery.

HTH
Claudio