StoreEver Tape Storage
1751879 Members
5357 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How do I "attach" a host to a library on a SAN?

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

How do I "attach" a host to a library on a SAN?

Now that I have my MSL2024/FC librarys connected and zoned on the SAN, how do I actually get a (windows) host to see/recognise them?

With disk storage, I'd simply present the LUN then do a re-scan within the OS, but I'm stumped as to how to do the equivalent for tape?

As we'll ultimately be using HP DP 6.0, my reasearch indicates that you must not use MS natvive drivers.

I've installed a demo of HP DP on a test box (a c-class blade) which is definitely correctly zoned to the library and thought it would simply scan the SAN and find / install drivers for it.

All the HP DP docs talk about standard SCSI-attached libaries, and the MSL2024 docs only discuss physical installation & management interface.

I can't find anything that gels the two together!

As I said in a previous post, I'm booked on a HP DP course in a few weeks but wanted to get a "heads-up" on it in a test setting first rather than go in completely cold...

Regards,

Paul
2 REPLIES 2
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Re: How do I "attach" a host to a library on a SAN?

Just double-checked my zoning & realised that although I'd configured the zones & done a cfgsave, I hadn't actually re-loaded the "defined configuration".

This SAN stuff certainly catches one out!

Now I can see the drive within SAN surfer, I just need to figure out how to "play" with HP DP.....
Paul
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: How do I "attach" a host to a library on a SAN?

It sounds like you are on your way. DP with the latest drivers supports the MSL 2024 out of the box and shouldn't need any special setup steps to find the library.

For future reference the location for documentation that ties together tape libraries and applications is http://www.hp.com/go/ebs for the "Enterprise Backup Solutions" web site then check the section on "White Papers" and you will find the document on using DP with HP tape libraries.