StoreEver Tape Storage
1752480 Members
5569 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How long do HP DAT 72 data cartridges last?

Tim Lanai

How long do HP DAT 72 data cartridges last?

I have been using 5 tapes for the last two years, each one once per week, so they have done about 100 back ups. I have some other tapes that I have been using once per month for the last 3 1/2 years to they have about 40 back ups. Lastly I have some other tapes that are 3 1/2 years old that I have used once per year so they have 3 or 4 back ups on them.

Do I need to replace the older tapes even though they don't have many back-ups on them? How many back ups can I do on the newer tapes? By using older or worn out tapes, does it hurt the tape drive?

I use the cleaning catridge on a weekly basis. How many cleans can I do on that tape before i should replace it?

I just had to replace my 3 1/2 year old tape drive at a cost of $500 and I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tim. I contacted the media team and they gave me this reply:

The lifespan of DAT tapes can be dependant on many factors; environmental usage conditions, non-use storage conditions, back-up routine, load/unload frequency etc. As a rule of thumb DAT tapes are warranted to last 100 full volume back-up/restores or a combination of the two up to 100 as detailed in the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=34632&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=lpg50335

They also carry a 30 year archive cover, again, as long as correct conditions are adhered to.

The number of cleans that can be obtained from a cleaning cartridge is dictated by the firmware in the drive. The HP DAT 72 provides 50 cleans and then the cartridge should be discarded - it will not clead after that and will eject immediately.

Once a data tape has been used to the extent above HP recommend discarding it and replacing it with a new one.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Tim Lanai

Thanks for getting back to me Richard. So if I understand correctly, if I have a tape that I have only used once per year for the last 4 years, I should be able to get plenty of more use out it (up to 100 backups) even though it is 4 years old? As long as I am storing it correctly, I can continue to do backups on it for up to 30 years and 100 backups, correct?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Yes, that's about it. The 30 years is expected to be mainly shelf time but, yes, if you look after your tapes - and your drive - they should last as per the spec.
Tapes don't really age but they do wear - hence the 100 backup spec. Note, because DDS is linear, 100 small backups are really just as bad as 100 long ones because they are re-using the same part of the tape - the beginning. That's different to LTO which is serpentine. Richard.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong