StoreEver Tape Storage
1751967 Members
4647 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to format DAT72 Tapes

Lucap_1

How to format DAT72 Tapes

I'm using an SCSI external HP DAT72 Unit. The software backup I use is the CA BrightStore. When I format a tape using that software, the result is that tape capacity goes down to about 16 GB instead of the 36 GB expected...
The CA software does not give any indication on the formatting size...
How can I format the tape so that the capacity is back to 36 GB?

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

How are you determining that the capacity is down to 16GB? Also, could you confirm that the media you're using is in fact DAT72 media.

Russell
Luca Polga

Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes the tape is a DAT72 because it is wrote on the tape itself.
The 16 GB is what CA software tells me about the size after the format. The problem is that I cannot decide the size of the formatting BEFORE the operation...
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

What version of CA BrightStor are you using? What is your hardware platform and operating system? Does your DAT72 have the latest firmware available from www.hp.com?

Are you attempting to format new or used media? If you are formatting used media try using new media to see if that works. If you have already tried that, or if you do not have new media, I suggest you perform a full erase of the media (assuming that you do not have any important data on the media that you want to keep) and then format the media.