6142 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I/O Device Error With 20/40GB DAT

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I/O Device Error With 20/40GB DAT

Hi,

I'm having a problem where i cannot backup using my ML330e server and Compaq 20/40GB DDS4 DAT Drive (SDT-10000).
The server is running NT 4.0 Server and ServicePack 6.0a and the backup software is Veritas Backup Exec 8.5.

The error i get in the Backup Exec log is "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Any idea's on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for ideas!
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having a similar problem on an ML530 with a Compaq 20/40 GB DDS4 DAT drive. I am running NT 4 SP6 using Arcserve 2000 SP2 and the message I get is

E6300 Windows NT SCSI Port Error [ABSL: 1060 CMD: 8h] SCSI Command Retry
E6300 Windows NT SCSI Port Error [ABSL: 1060 CMD: 8h NT: 45Dh 1117]

The System Event Log has this error:
Source: cpq32fs2
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\ScsiPort1

I have seen several references to similar problems under this forum. Some have solved it with cables, others had drives replaced. Many still have it as an open issue. I am still trying to get some help from Computer Associates to see if this is a software issue. I will check back regularly to see what's going on.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm having a similar problem though I have BackupExec 8.6. I've tried getting the latest upgrades for everything and that didn't work. Checked cables they are fine.
Very frustrating problem
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm using ML 530 with Windows 2000 and Arcserve 2000 with the same tape unit.

A week ago there was the same error.

I tried to disable Storage management agents on the server and for now there are no more problem.