108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IBM branded HP SureStore 1/9 barcode reader problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ender-1
Occasional Advisor

IBM branded HP SureStore 1/9 barcode reader problem

I have an IBM 3600-109 Tape Library that was manufactured by HP, C7145. IBM has extremely poor support for this device, unfortunately.

I am running into an issue with this device. The barcode reader does not appear to be functional. We are running the unit on Windows Server 2003, and it is recognized as an "HP Tape Library" with an "IBM Ultrium TD1 SCSI Sequential Device". The drive works perfectly and the library appears to function in every other aspect. I have updated the firmware to the latest version for both the autoloader and the drive. There is a "Library and Tape Tools" program but it requires a serial interface. The serial interface is part of an optional interface card that I do not have for this unit.

So I have no way to test the barcode reader other than to try RSM or the backup software I'm using (not by choice) ARCServe. I need to setup a backup that is GFS compliant and in order to do that, the unit has to be able to read the barcodes. Physically, the autoloader does appear to move from tape to tape and scan the barcodes.

Is there anything I'm missing or does anyone have any ideas as to how I can test this further or enable the barcode reader function?
10 REPLIES 10
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

You should be able to test/check the bar code reader by checking the tape labels in the front panel display of the autoloader.

The 1/9 autoloaders did have an optional ethernet remote management interface, however LTT uses the SCSI interface to the autoloader. LTT was developed for the HP branded libraries/autoloaders, but it may also work on the OEM version of the 1/9 loader (depending on how different the firmware is). HP does not distribute firmware/tools for OEM variants of our products - those should come from the OEM (i.e. IBM in this case).
The journey IS the reward.
Ender-1
Occasional Advisor

Well I actually was able to get the HP L&TT program working with this autoloader. In any case, the front of the display shows a black bar where I assume the barcode would show. When I run diagnostics in the HP tool it says "9 missing or unreadable barcode labels have been identified (check 'everything' detail level)." And each tape has an "unreadable" label.

I am using barcode labels from Iron Mountain, and I guess the next question is does it have to be a specific kind of barcode label? The barcode itself is about 2.5" long and is in the format *012345678* where the numbers represent the serial number I'm trying to use. The labels are oriented top to bottom.

I am very close to making this autoloader function the way I'd like it to and it is obviously a quality product so kudos to HP but I've been around in circles with IBM support, they don't appear to know much of anything about this autoloader, so thanks for any help you can provide!
Ender-1
Occasional Advisor

And to confirm, when I go to the "Slot" screen on the front panel after an inventory check it says that none of the tapes have a label on it.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

The data you have seems to confirm the autoloader cannot read the labels you have. Are these the "wide" or "narrow"/dual bar code labels?

Look at this document that explains the labels which the 1/9 and 2/20 series libraries were able to read:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=lpg70017&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=34115

I believe you will need either narrow or dual bar code labels.
Ender-1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info! Looks like I am using the wrong kind of barcode labels, so this information helps a lot.
Ender-1
Occasional Advisor

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Here's a white paper that explains the HP dual bar codes used with Ultrium drives:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29561/lpg29561.pdf
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

Original IBM Autoloader is equipped with WIDE barcode reader. It should be capable of reading Wide, Narrow and Universal (Wide/Narrow) labels.
If barcode label is in 39 format and is NOT made of reflective material, reader should read it and show content on tape inventory screen.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Yes, Aleks is right. I spoke with the development team, and IBM only used the version of this autoloader that had a wide bar code reader.