108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing fibre MSL6060 in Win2K environment

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Installing fibre MSL6060 in Win2K environment

I have never worked on an MSL library before so excuse my ignorance.

I have a new fibre MSL6060 with 2 routers and 4 drives. I have just connected it to the Win2K server and installed the blank drivers for the routers and have setup connection to one of the router through html interface. The backup software is Netvault.

I need some simple basic step-by-step setup procedure of configuring the library until the software can see all the 4 drives. The manuals confuse the daylights out of me.

Don't panic
8 REPLIES 8
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Well.... first we need to make sure your cabling is correct.

The 2 NSR's should be dual port SCSI single port Fibre?

On the first nsr, you should have the first drive, bottom scsi port connected to SCSI 0 on the nsr. Drive 2 shold connect to SCSI 1. Drive 2 should have a terminator on the second scsi port and drive 1 should have a cable to the robotics card(bottom port). There should be a terminator on the top port of the robotics card.

The second nsr should be cabled the same way wwith drive 3 and 4. Terminators on the top scsi and cables to SCSI 0 and SCSI 1 on the NSR.

Now, what type of SAN switch do you have? or are you directly connecting the NSR's fibre ports to the server's fibre hba?

Depending on the switch you have, you may need to enable zoning or modify the zoning. I will assume this is done since you were able to see the nsr's and load the device file for them.

Can you confirm all this? Once confirmed, we can continue with the NSR mappings.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
otukile
Frequent Advisor

1. With respect to cabling, there was an acompaning document which showed the diagram for my setup. So I am pretty sure I am OK in this resect.

2. The fibre cabling is just the 2 fibre cables from the routers sraight to 2 HBAs on the backup server. Point-to-point if I am correct. No switches or anything in between.

3. The Win2K server has already picked up the 2 NSR routers and I have already installed the Null drivers.

We can now proceed with the mapping section
Don't panic
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ok....

If you browse to the NSR, you get the web gui. Click on Mappings and you should be prompted to log in... default user is "root" and "password".

Since the default map is "Indexed", we can just work with that since you are directly attached. Click Edit/View next to the combo box labeled "Select Map". (On the right hand side.) A new window should pop up.

In the mapping window, change the fill map priority to "target/bus" and click "fill map". It should look similar to the attached file. Close the window and click "Activate Mapping and Save". Rescan for new hardware and you should start seeing the library... and tape drives.

Once the devices show up, you can close the nsr window, or browse to the second one and perform the same steps. The only difference is that there is no CHGR device on the second nsr.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. I only get 2 drives and 2 NSR registered on the map. I will try to send my FC 0 mapping on the next reply.

On the other hand, isn't there somewhere where we are supposed to assign/present these to the host (which in this case are the HBAs) before the drives can be seen by the host?

Don't panic
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just for clarification - you have to do the steps above on BOTH storage routers - they are independend.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Please find attached the current configuration.
Don't panic
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You should not see 2 NS E1200-160's. From this, It looks like you cabled the first NSR into the second one then the second into the robot then the robot into the first drive then the second drive. I could be mistaken.

Can you show us a diagram of your cabling?

Also, you may get better stability if you refill the map as "target/bus" vs. "bus/target". Some backup pacgages like to see the NSR first, THEn the changer and then the drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

please have a look at this document (page 2 - box 8)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_289157-003_poster/TPM_289157-003_poster.pdf

Did you connect the cables as shown?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!