1752538 Members
4649 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is C6369A supported on HP-UX 11.11?

Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Is C6369A supported on HP-UX 11.11?

I have a C6369A (partsurfer description: 20/40GB Low Voltage Differential DDS-4 (DAT) module - Half height ) I'm trying to connect to my A500 running HP-UX 11.11. After sliding it into the Smart Storage rack, the lights come on, but the system does not see it. I've tried insf, ioscan, cstm, etc. Rebooting does not help.

I've ruled out cabling, SCSI ID, and faulty slot on the Smart Storage rack. This is the second unit C6369A I've tried, so that makes a faulty drive unlikely. I have the stape driver in the kernel, but do I need something different? Is this drive even supported on HP-UX?
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Yes - that drive is supported by 11.11 & I'm fairly certain by the A500 as well.
I'd start concentrating on:
A) The SCSI HBA itself - run STM on it
B) The SCSI terminator - try another one & check the termination setting on the HBA
C) The power supply in the smart enclosure - do you have a DVD to try in it?

I'v had a bad slot in a 5300 before & I heard one person who had 2 out of 4.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I just checked one of my old configuration guides (Dec '01) and that drive is supported onan A500. Are any of the other devices in your smart storage enclousure visible to the system? Is the termination correct?
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

- There are already two devices in this enclosure: A DVD-ROM and another DDS4 drive. Both are recognized and function perfectly.

- The old DDS-4 drive and the new drive are both connected to the onboard LVD bus. New drive is SCSI ID 4, old drive is 3. Drive 3 works fine when drive 4 is in the chain.

- I tried swapping the slots for those drives and drive 3 continued to work, while drive 4 continued to be unrecognized.

Since drive 3 works in both slots even when drive 4 is installed, I'm assuming that rules out an HBA, termination, cabling, or SCSI ID issue.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Are you mixxing wide-scsi and narrow-scsi devices on the same bus? If so, some special rules have toi be followed. The narrow devices must be on the end of the bus with a terminator and the last wide device has to have a special terminator that terminates the high-order lines and lets the lo-order lines pass through. You might try connecting to the other SCSI port on your box.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

One other thought. When you say ioscan does not see it? Does that mean it is not claimed or is nothing reported for this hardware path / SCSI ID at all? If you can at least "see" the device, you should be able to do an ioscan -M driver -H path -I instance and associate this device with the tape driver.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

I am not mixing SCSI device TYPES on that bus. There would be only two devices on that bus, and they are both LVD DDS4 tape drives.

I tried the ioscan -M, using the stape driver. Is this the proper driver, or should I be using tape2? (which is not currently in the kernel). The command was "ioscan -M stape -H 0/0/1/0.4.0". The system still does not recognize any device at that address.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I did not answer your question about claiming. No, there is no device listed at that H/W path at all.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Well....I'd be starting to think the tape drive *itself* is bad.
If it's new it ought to be under warranty - I'd log a HW case & have a friendly CE come out to check it. It's not unheard of to have a DOA unit.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

I have already RMA'ed one tape drive back to the vendor. This is the second one they have sent. Although it's possible to get two bad ones, the odds are low. :)

I cannot find this answer on the ITRC: what kernel driver is needed to support the C6369A?