StoreEver Tape Storage
1752562 Members
4327 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is WinXP compatible with Internal Colorado 5GB Tape Drive?

Bill Carney_1
Occasional Contributor

Is WinXP compatible with Internal Colorado 5GB Tape Drive?

Is WinXP compatible with Internal Colorado 5GB Tape Drive? I'm getting file mark error - see my earlier post.
4 REPLIES 4
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Is WinXP compatible with Internal Colorado 5GB Tape Drive?

Bill Carney_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Please note:

(1) I've seen this webpage and a similar one on HP's support site. HP Tech support person Mr. Nash posted a general comment that Colorado HP products were having problems in WinXP when he responded to my post, about getting a "file mark" error with an internal HP Colorado 5GB tape drive running on WinXP using the native driver and NT Backup. My impression therefore is that Mr. Nash is saying all internal and external tape drives are affected. Hence, I am asking for someone (HP person would be good) to reafirm that it's only external tape drives affected, not internal, as the MS/HP support pages indicate. If both , then I guess I must wait for HP or MS to resolve this w/ WinXP.

(2) If the internal HP Colorado 5GB was tested to function okay in WinXP, then why am I getting the "file mark" error which keeps me from making a successful backup in WinXP? The tape drive functions okay using Win98 and HP Colorado Backup II (v8.1), so I don't believe its a hardware issue, nor do I think its a media issue as I used several different tapes and got same error in WinXP.

(3) The file mark error is:

The backup could not be completed due to an error.

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: Travan
Media name: "Media created 7/13/2002 at 2:18 PM"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 7/13/2002 at 2:18 PM"
Media name: "Media created 7/13/2002 at 2:18 PM"

Backup Type: Copy

Backup started on 7/13/2002 at 2:19 PM.

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write a file mark to media.
Error reported: Hardware failure.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 7/13/2002 at 6:10 PM.
Directories: 2
Files: 70
Bytes: 29,607
Time: 15 minutes and 1 second

David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Bill,

Perhaps this link will help look towards the bottom of the page:

http://support1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/search.do?category=c0&mode=text&searchString=Colorado+and+WinXP&searchCrit=boolean&docType=Security&docType=Patch&docType=EngineerNotes&docType=BugReports&docType=Hardware&docType=ReferenceMaterials&docType=ThirdParty&search.x=8&search.y=10#P3216_77983

Unless I'm misreading this, the Colorado drive you mention, whether internal or external is ONLY supported when using the Veritas 'my pc' backup program. It is NOT supported with WinXP and the "standard" Colorado backup program in any version.

HTH,

Dave
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Bill,

Here's another page:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg10065.html

In Win2K, using the O/S backup tools, the backup appears to be functional but during recovery cannot be found. I think the same is true of the WinXP O/S. Hence the reason for HP sending you to Veritas as the "supported" platform.

HTH,

Dave