1752609 Members
4334 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO Tape Drive Errors

Michael_87
Advisor

LTO Tape Drive Errors

We have 3 Dell 128T with and LTO drive in each Library. I installed these at three critical sites three weeks ago. Two of the three drives have now gone bad. I have contacted Dell and they send the replacement. Here is the question.

Dell says that the problem is that the tapes are causing the problem. When the hook in the drive is enable, it is breaking off the cover and the tab is falling into the drives and wrecking them. Since I cannot get the tapes out without taking apart the drive(and voiding the warrenty) I cannot confirm this to be true. Has anyone else been having this problem??

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are these new tapes new as well? Only thing I can think of is that you have a bad batch of tapes. If this is possible contact the supplier
for further information.

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Michael_87
Advisor

Yes, these tapes are bad, but we did not buy them. The client did so I am wondering just where they got them from. I really don't buy Dell's answer so I am looking to see if there is anyone else who is having this problem
Michael_87
Advisor

I meant to say that the tapes are new..not bad

Hmmm - the problem that Dell are describing sounds like the classic DLT tape leader block issue... This was a big problem on original DLT7000s, less of a problem on DLT8000s, and I havn't come across it at all on LTOs, though I may have been lucky. I would ask Dell to tell you exactly where they are getting this info from - make sure they're not confusing this units problem with old DLT problems.

The original tape leader block problem was largeley mitigated by a firmware upgrade, so you might want to look into moving to the latest firmware for the LTOs too.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

We have only encountered these symptoms once so far, that we are aware of: the little pin underneath the cover which is held in place through two retaining springs fell out. But this is certainly not a well-known or frequent problem.

It is true that there is a better known problem on DLT cartridges, which is not be confused with this problem on a LTO cartridge.

I would ask Dell for their source of this information and in particular about a statement in terms of circumstances and frequency of the problem.