108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO library - Drive not on Fiber Channel error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

LTO library - Drive not on Fiber Channel error

I have connected a new LTO library to our L2000 box. The library boots up into a 'Partially Available' state. If I do a library status, the message I get is 'Drive not on Fiber Channel'. I have looked through the troubleshooting section of the manual and it does not give any specifics on narrowing down what the problem is. It says replace the SCSI cables and if that does not work call support. I do not have the SCSI cables readily available to just swap them out. Is there anyway I can figure out, with more granularity, what is going on and why I am getting this error?

I have gone through and reseated all of the cables, drives, and cards.

Any information or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bryan
10 REPLIES 10
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

What this error means is the fibre channel bridge card did not find one or more of the drives on the card's SCSI busses.

Can you explain exactly how the unit is cabled on the back (i.e. tell me where each SCSI connector on the FC bridge card is connected to, where that might be daisy-chained to, and where they are terminated.

Also, which firmware revision do you have in the library? You should update to 1.60 if you are not there already. Use HP Library and Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) to update the library firmware.
The journey IS the reward.
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello David,

Thanks for your response, here is how we have the library hooked up. This is if you are looking at the back of the library. I will also attach the page from the PDF of the user's guide, which shows the connections. The only difference, is that the graphic shows the fiber hooked to a switch and we have our directly connected to the server.

Starting at the top level of the library:
1st Level -
The FC port is connected directly to the FC card in the server via a 16m cable.
The top SCSI port on the card is connected to the first port on the left most drive. The other scsi port on that drive is terminated with and LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.
The second SCSI port on the card is connected to the first scsi port on the right drive. The other scsi port on the right drive is terminated with an LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.

2nd Level -
The top SCSI port on the card is connected to the first port on the left most drive. The other scsi port on that drive is terminated with and LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.
The second SCSI port on the card is connected to the first scsi port on the right drive. The other scsi port on the right drive is terminated with an LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.

3rd Level -
The top SCSI port on the card is connected to the first port on the left most drive. The other scsi port on that drive is connected to the top scsi port on the library controller card. The bottom scsi port on the fc interface card is connected to the first scsi port on the right drive. The other scsi port on that drive is terminated with an LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.
The bottom scsi port on the library controller card is terminated with an LVD/SE multi-mode terminator.

Hopefully between my attempt to describe our connections and the graphic you will be able to understand how we have it connected. Thanks for your help!

-Bryan
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello David,

Here is the firmware information that I was able to pull off of LTT:

C7200 Tape Library 6/60
Firmware Rev: 1400

Drive 1 Firmware Rev: E31R/OEM2

Drive 2 Firmware Rev: E31R/OEM2

Drive 3 Firmware Rev: E31R/OEM2

Drive 5 Firmware Rev: E31R/OEM2

Drive 6 Firmware Rev: E31R/OEM2

For whatever reason, drive 4 does not show up in LTT.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor

Bryan,
Dave asked me to analize your responce.

Your 1st and 3rd levels have good SCSI connections to the fibre bridges, because those drive were found by LTT.

The second level of the library has a bad connection to the right most drive this is drive 4 the one that is not seen by LTT. I would first verify that all the connections to that drive are tight and will not move if you push on them. If the connections seem ok, then I would first pull off the connector at the right drive and look for bent pins. Do the same thing for the terminator on that drive. If all seems OK I would undo the bottom connection to the fibre board and check the connector.

If the external SCSI cables and terminators looks ok. I would next undo the thumb wheel screws that hold the drives SCSI connectors to the drive. Look inside and make sure the 2 connections are tight. Before you touch anything inside the drive can make sure you touch the sheet metal of the library to discharge any ESD build up on you. Then push on both of the connection to the drive. Neither of the connections should move. Put the SCSI connectors back in place and tighten the thumb wheel screws.

I would now reconnect all connections power cycle the library and then rerun the scanning utility on LTT.

If it comes up OK we just had a bad connection. If not then we need to isolate which is the bad part. 1st we will verify the fibre controller. To do this take of the top connector on level 2. Then take off the bottom connector on level 2 and connect it to the top connector on level 2. Then place the one that was on the top to bottom connector. Power cycle the library and rerun the LTT scanning utility. If drive 3 (the left drive)becomes missing and drive 4 (the right drive)shows up then it is a bad fibre controller. Other wise we need to proceed to checking the terminator.

To check the Terminator we will take the right drives terminator off. Then we take the left drives terminator off and place it on the right drive. Then we put the extra terminator on the left drive. Power cycle the library and rerun the LTT scanning utility. If drive 3 becomes missing the problem is with the terminator. If drive 4 is still missing we have to debug further.

Now we need to completly swap the SCSI cables between drive 4 and drive 3. Power cycle the library and rerun the LTT scanning utility. If drive 3 becomes missing it is a bad external SCSI cable. If drive 4 is still missing we have to replace the drive can controller. Something is wrong with the internal SCSI cable or the drive.

Good Luck,
Colette

Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello Colette,

Thanks for your response. I will check out all of your suggestions and reply back with my findings.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hey Colette and Dave,

I think I found the problem. I took the cable off of drive 4 as you suggested (I had done this about 3 times previously) and noticed that one of the pins was bent over towards it neighboring pin. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and fixed it, plugged the cable back in and then pulled it out again. The pin was bent over again. So, I started examining the port it was plugging into on the drive and it looks like someone stuck a knife or screw driver in it. The plastic seperating the two little ports for the pins is pretty much non-existent. It is so bad that the two openings look like one big opening. So everytime I try to plug the cable in it bends the pin.

So, I called the reseller we purchased the unit from and she is ordering a new connector panel and cable.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this will resolve my situation. If it does not I will try the other options you listed.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Colette Howe 1
Frequent Advisor

Bryan,
I am glad that you found the problem. But, I would replace the SCSI cable also to be on the safe side. Those pins if they get bent to many times usually break off.
Colette
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Thanks Colette,

Our reseller called back late yesterday afternoon and said that the cable and connector plate are both ordered. They should both be here today.

Thanks,
-Bryan
Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Hello Colette and Dave,

I got my parts in just after lunch today and have installed them. I now have a HAPPY library. Everything is working great. Drive 4 is now showing up in ioscan and L&TT.

I appreciate all of your help in guiding me through the determination and resolution of this problem.

Thank you very much!

-Bryan