StoreEver Tape Storage
1752280 Members
5579 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LargeLun-Support for more then 8 Drives

Locher_2

LargeLun-Support for more then 8 Drives

I have a ML570G2 as BackupServer with Legato NetWorker 7.2 installed. The tape library is a GRAU ITL-10000. The drives are attached on a NSR2402. The connection between ML570 and NSR2402 goes via HP Switch 2/16 (Broccade) and a FCA2101 in the ML570. My Problem is, that i see only 8 drives of the library. I have 10 drives attached. On the NSR all the drives are up.
Somebody may help? Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: LargeLun-Support for more then 8 Drives

No answers, just a bunch of questions. Is this Windows or Linux? (I see it's SuSE certified) Do you see any difference in the available drives by running inquire as opposed to looking at the OS? (ioscan equivalent or Device Manager) Has the fabric been zoned to allow your 570 access to all of these drives? Are the drives direct fibre, or via a fibre-SCSI bridge? Do the last two drives exist on a seperate bridge to the rest?

Hopefully by figuring out the answers to these you'll figure out the answer yourself. I'd also question whether you want so many drives on a single fibre card - not sure what kind of drives are in use, but a fast modern drive is able to run at over 30MB/sec, taking over 60MB/sec with native compression. 3-4 drives streaming well will max out a 2Gb fibre card. Naturally, this depends on the drives in use at your site and the kind of throughput you expect, so use your own discretion here.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Locher_2

Re: LargeLun-Support for more then 8 Drives

Hi Stuart

Thanks for reply! The server is Windows based (W2K SP3). The inquire gives me out just the 8 drives. The zoning should be good, because we have just one fibre-scsi-bridge, a HP NSR2402. The two additional drives are connected to another SCSI-Module on the same bridge. So i have 4 drives on Module 0, 4 drives on Module 1, 2 drives on Module 2. On the Bridge all drives are in State UP.