6728 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Latest Firmware for Ultrium 460?

Ronald W. Satz
Advisor

David:

I received the replacement external Ultrium 460 from HP and sent them the unit with the strange external case.

The first few times I tried to backup (with NTBackup) failed. Lewis Finch at HP Support recommended to take off the external LVD/SE terminator, which then enabled the NTBackup to finish. Just out of habit I use active terminators, so it's just curious to be required not to do so in this case.

However, the backup is still slow. This replacement unit does have the correct current firmware, F48D/OEM9, so I'll be able to update it when a new one becomes available. Finch's other suggestion is to put the tape drive on its own SCSI port. I've ordered another SCSI cable so I'll be able to temporarily unhook the UNIX/CD side and put the tape drive directly to its own port--then we'll see if I get 2 GB/min.

Regards,
RWS
transpower@aol.com
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> The first few times I tried to backup (with NTBackup) failed. Lewis Finch at HP Support recommended to take off the external LVD/SE terminator, which then enabled the NTBackup to finish. Just out of habit I use active terminators, so it's just curious to be required not to do so in this case.

The drive has a built-in active terminator, if nothing is attached to the SCSI-OUT connector (the top connector). You should also be able to use an external terminator on the SCSI-OUT connector, which should disable the internal termination. Which connector did you have the terminator connected to?
The journey IS the reward.
Ronald W. Satz
Advisor

David:

I had an active LVD/SE terminator on the OUT port. It was "green", as it should be.

The Ultrium does have its own green light--something I never noticed before.

Anyway, when the new SCSI cable comes and I take the Ultrium off the Windows drive, I'll use the terminator on the HD. I will disconnect the UNIX drive and directly attach the Ultrium to that SCSI port. Then we'll really see.

Regards,
RWS
transpower@aol.com