108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MOVE DISK IN EVA

SOLVED
Go to solution
yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

MOVE DISK IN EVA

Is it possible to move disk in a EVA when it is a part of a raid unit,in a specific disk group ?
Is the controllers find automatically the disk and insert them together in the good raid ? In the good disk group ?
Is it somebody can explaine how the EVA work in this case.
5 REPLIES 5
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

EVA has got its own algorithm to arrange disks in the raid group. You have already mentioned how it is making the raid.

regards,
Syam
yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

sorry
I ask
I remove a disk from a specific raid in a specific disk group and i put this in a empty disk place for exemple.
Is the raid are already ok ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Let's get some terminology right, first.

A physical disk drive is a member of a disk group. It is not in any way connected to a virtual disk ("raid unit"). A disk group does not have a (V)RAID level, a virtual disk, which is stored within a disk group, has.

You can move a physical disk drive when the EVA is down and it will recognize the configuration after boot without loss of data, but you should not attempt this online. The EVA has a delay for removing a disk drive from a disk group when it can no longer talk to that disk, but there is a risk that you can exceed that time.

Once the disk drive is removed from a disk group, all VRAID-0 virtual disks in that group are inaccessible. VRAID-1 and VRAID-5 virtual disks from that disk group need to be recovered.

The EVA has a knowledge which disk drive is in which enclosures and it lays out the redundant data accordingly. If you artificially move disks around you can defeat this. Why do you want to move physical disk drives?
yves le bot
Occasional Advisor

Thank Uwe.

I suppect a bad manipulation after a big problem on a EVA.I want investigate that .
You answer to my question when you write that is necessary to stop the EVA for move physical disk.

regards.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, I've read here on ITRC that one can temporarily change the "Disk replacement delay" from the default of 1 minute (it's in the "Policies" box on the storage system's properties page), but I do feel a bit uneasy doing that on a life system.