8595 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 2024 Tape Drive + Nt backup

Damien Brennan
Occasional Advisor

MSL 2024 Tape Drive + Nt backup

hi,
i have recieved a new msl 2024 backup system.

i am trying to get this to work with nt backup.

i have previously used this on an DLT & SDLT systems.

i have installed the backup system on a server running win server 2000.

NT backup picks gives me the option to back up to LTO.

but the problem for me seems to be the removable storage snap in. before i used to have to "prepare" the media, but when i insert a LTO tape into the system, it does not find it.

if any one could point me in the right direction, id appreaciate it.

Thanks
Damien

3 REPLIES 3
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

Re: MSL 2024 Tape Drive + Nt backup

are you manually loading the tape into the drive? NTBackup cannot control MSL robotics, so you have to load the drive (via the control panel on the front) from the slot into the drive. once loaded you have to be able to make your backup.

regards,
Mynor Aguilar
Damien Brennan
Occasional Advisor

Hi thanks for that reply. ill check it out shortly.

i think there may be an issue as im pretty sure im using the wrong scsci card for this.

currently installed is a Symbios logic 8951u pci scsi adapter. where the quick specs for this machine suggest a Ultra320 SCSI LVD/SE.

the LT Tools are hanging at startup, im thinking its down to the scsi. once i get it changed i can check it out.

Jenny Butler
Frequent Advisor

I ran into similar issues, so what I did was to load my tapes into the MSL2024 and from the console ran the NTBackup (I think I used the wizard) and wrote specific labels to each tape - AMONDAY, ATUESDAY, BMONDAY, BTUESDAY, etc. For the backup script that I wrote to run from the "Scheduled Task" I used a line that looks like this:

c:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\BackupScripts\ZFOLDERS.bks" /T "AMONDAY" /N "AMONDAY" /V:yes /R:yes /L:f

I had a list of folders that I wanted to back up, hence the ZFOLDERS.bks reference. To fully understand the syntax, go to a CMD window and type ntbackup /? or go to the Backup program and look at the Help section. Good luck!