1752758 Members
4681 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 4048 STORAGE

probin pradhan
Occasional Contributor

MSL 4048 STORAGE

I am unable to formet my tape and the backup schedule has been failed for atleat a month. i cant take backup now. we are using MSl 4048 storage for taking the backup of rx6600 hp servers.
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL 4048 STORAGE

This happens with several tapes?
Try to use HP Library and Tape Tools to access the library and perform some tests on a blank tape.
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Probin:

Could you provide some more details on what is happening during your backup failures. What is the backup software? What OS and OS version are you using e.g. HP-UX or Linux? Where in the backup job does the backup fail e.g before the job start, or randomly somewhere in the middle of the backup job?

So, is the issue that you cannot even format one tape cartridge?

Is your MSL4048 library fibre channel attached or is the library SCSI or SAS attached to your rx6600 server?

Dave W.
probin pradhan
Occasional Contributor

we are using hpux as the operating server. and yes we use fiber cables which is connected to san switch and the servers are also connected to the san switch.

and its true i cant even formet one tape.
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

Hi Probin

You may try the following options:

1. Run Library and Tape Tools and try drive assessment test or a read write test using a test data cartridge.

2. Try to perform a small backup using the Tar command.

3. Check to see if there are any errors on the front panel of the library.

Note : Stop the backup software services before launching the Library and Tape Tools. Please attach the support ticket for further analysis.
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Probin:

What backup application are you using to format your tape cartridges? Is the backup application Openview Data Protector?

Regards,
Dave W.