1748002 Members
4737 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 5026 Tapes not being seated back into the LEFT Magazine

Todd A Harris
Occasional Contributor

MSL 5026 Tapes not being seated back into the LEFT Magazine

I have a COMPAQ branded cream-colored MSL5026 with 2 110/220 SDLT drives. I have been having an issue where after a tape is written or moved and is being placed back into the LEFT magazine. The tape is placed in the slot and the shuttle does the little left/right positioning but then when the little hook arm tries to push the tape fully home it misses the tape and thus the tape is never fully seated and causes a shuttle jam. It only happens on the LEFT magazine and never on the right. I have removed the magazines and looked for anything that would cause a positioning error for the LEFT magazine and nothing seems amiss.
This happens very repeatability but not every time. I have looked for any manuals that would explain any diagnostic procedures or troubleshooting processes but I have found nothing helpful.
Can anyone give me a hint before I place a service call? I am comfortable with maintenance procedures if they can be done without special fixtures or testing equipment (Having personally rebuilt the motor and transmission in my Porsche 911)
Thanks in advance for any info you may contribute.
2 REPLIES 2
Todd A Harris
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSL 5026 Tapes not being seated back into the LEFT Magazine

In addition I am running Quantum Super DLTtape I tapes in the library.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL 5026 Tapes not being seated back into the LEFT Magazine

Hi Todd

There are diagnostics built in to the MSL, but they are mainly designed to check for friction/wear on the shuttle, (Picker) and/or the fixed track. They are executable from the 'diagnostic' option on the front panel menu.

It sounds like your library is a few years old now so I would suspect wear on these components to be the most likely cause. Unfortunately the only remedy is to replace the faulty component (the shuttle and track assembly are field replaceable units), as there are no field calibration or setup procedures.

Best plan is to log a fault call and get an engineer to take a look at it.