1752725 Members
5679 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 5030 SCSI Tape Drive Status Change

Huts
Occasional Advisor

MSL 5030 SCSI Tape Drive Status Change

I receive the following error when backup jobs start device goes offline and come back online but job failed

The system has detected the following event:

SNMP Trap: 5019
System URL: http://Date time: 05/12/2005 11:05:11 PM
Computer: BRUBK04
Source: Storage Agents
Type: Error
Category: (4)

Description:
A 'SCSI Tape Drive Status Change' trap signifies that the Storage Agent has detected a change in the status of a Compaq SCSI Tape Drive.

Details:
Drive Logical Unit # 0
SCSI ID # 5
Port # 1
Controller Slot # 0
Tape Drive Status 'OFFLINE'
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL 5030 SCSI Tape Drive Status Change

I would suggest first to run some test with Library and Tape Tool, and understand if there is a phisical problem with the drive, also be sure to not have any concurrent applications trying to access the drive at the same time
T Bell_1

This is a common problem. There's a bug in the HP SCSI agent that generates multiple offline/online messages during backups to HP tape libraries. I've never received a difinitive answer for the cause from tech support. To avoid the multiple messages I disabled the HP "SCSI Information" agent. Of course this is not the ideal solution since SCSI errors will not generate traps once the agent is disabled but at least I don't get 100+ messages a day from my backups jobs.
Jim Miller
Frequent Advisor

We used to get this all the time on a MSL 5052. Problem went away after installing version 7.1 of the agents
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Huts, T, and Jim,

Could you provide us with details on your configurations that have this issue (e.g. what OS version, what version of Insight Manager, and what library components)?

Are these direct-attach SCSI, or are they fibre connected in a SAN?

We have been testing with the SCSI agents enabled during our EBS qualifications, and have not found any issues.

There is a known problem with insight manger 6.4, 7.0, and 7.1 with the "fibre array information" agent in a SAN environment. You can find the details in the EBS design guide on page 96:
http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00190922/c00190922.pdf

Please provide us with some configuration info, and we'll investigate this.

Dave
HP Engineering
The journey IS the reward.