1751817 Members
5565 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL-6060 / LTO3 Upgrade & Fiber Interface

Gianni_12
Advisor

MSL-6060 / LTO3 Upgrade & Fiber Interface

Hi, we have an MSL-6060 with two LTO2 Drives and the Library also came with a Fiber Card, for SAN connection. We are still not using the Fiber connection, only SCSI. We want to install two more LTO3 Drives. A local provider HP provider told me that if i want to use be able to use all four LTOs drives in the SAN in the future, i would also need to buy an additonal Fiber Card to support these two additionals drives.

Can anybody confirm this?

Tks,

Gianni
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL-6060 / LTO3 Upgrade & Fiber Interface

Gianni:

To get the best performance out of your library, you would need the second card. If you only use one card, all your data streams to the 4 drives would be limited to 1 Fibre Channel Pathway. Using the second card will effectively separate out 2 of the drives and your backup server(s) will be able to address them separately, offering more bandwidth for intensive data streams. Since you have LTO3 drives, your data streams could never reach the same peaks on just 1 fibre connection.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

Re: MSL-6060 / LTO3 Upgrade & Fiber Interface

Gianni,
We have just completed this exact upgrade. The 2nd FC Interface is NOT required but recommended for bandwidth purposes. We now have 4 LTO3 Drives with 2 FC Network Storage Routers. If you need any help completing this upgrade I'll be glad to help ya out ;)