1748005 Members
4500 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL Tape Library in SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution

MSL Tape Library in SAN

I have the MSL5030 with (2) Ultrium 960 drives and I am using the Storage Router. The Storage Router is attached to a Fabric switch. Currently (2) hosts are attached. Host A and Host B both have device files (Claimed devices) for each tape drive and for the Library picker mech. When using the mc command on host A it functions normally; when using the mc command on host B, we get the following error.
mc -p /dev/rac/c9t1d0 -q

ERROR: No such device

Both hosts are on 11.11 and have current patches. Also, both hosts are not using the MSL Library at the same time.

The Storage Router is the model with (1) Fibre port that is the option for connecting to a SAN. I called HP support and they told me that only one host can "control" the library. I do not see how this can be true. Also note that the firmware was upgraded per HP.

Thanks.

Yesterday was the first day of the rest of your life
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

if you manage the library with more than one host, a backup application should take care of the reservation and who manage the devices at one time.
usualy the first host that see the library try to be the ownership and send a "reserve" SCSI command that prevent other hosts to manage it.
the "release" SCSI command, that is the one clearing the "rserve" flag, can be issued only by the host who set it.
The only other way to clear a "reserve flag" is to power cycle the device.
This can be the source of your problem.

I understand- thanks.

I understand that I was unclear of how SCSI devices perform in a SAN.