108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 1 Drive 1840 backup failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Had a failure last night. Going to re-run the backup with the util monitoring.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Curtis, annoyingly when I ran the backup again it worked with no issues. So I presume there is no reason to need the trace file?

I'm going to reseat all the interface cards in the server as I have an MSA70 and P800 to replace the MSA1000 FC.

Hopfully this will cure any gremlins in the system.

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Curtis

I had another failure yesterday. It seems to work every other time I run a backup.

I haven't made any changes yet though.

I do have a server setup with Command View TL, which is configured to pull tickets and info from the MSL2024. I have this happening on two MSL4048 libraries though. Do you think this could be an issue?

CLEB
Valued Contributor

Are these extra reg entries supposed to be under the SCSI HBA or the actual tape drive? I notice there is an empty storport entry under the SCSI HBA keys.

CLEB
Valued Contributor

I've had a failure twice in a row now.

I'm currently installing the latest library and drive FW using the May update bundle.

If I have issues after that I'm going to increase the timeout value from 250.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

I take it you didn't have any luck with the tracing utility?

The registry entries all need to be under the entry for the specific tape drive. I don't know of a way to apply them globally to the HBA although that would be much better in my opinion.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

After the FW updates the transfer speed seems to be incredibly low.

140MB/min instead of 4000MB/min previously.

On closer inspection this seems to be happening with a disk on the P400 controller as well as with the MSA70 attached via a P800.

I left the trace util running last night, it wasn't running when I logged onto my RDP session this morning. It had disappeared and there doesn't seem to be a log file anywhere.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I've just opened a support call as LTT is now reporting that the drive should no longer be used.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I ran a test D2D backup from one drive to another and it reached 2 files 31,934.53MB @ 7,412.90MB/min so it doesn't look like a general problem with the server.

Support case number is 4630235410

Can you please run "Drive Assessment test" from the L&TT tool and check the status of the drive ?

To select and run a test or device-specific utility manually:
1. In the device listing (the By Product or By Connection tab), click the device to test.
2. Click Test to execute the listed tests.
3. Click the checkbox to the left of the name of the devices you want to test. Select all the drives and the Medium Changer. The Test Group menu lists all the tests available for the selected devices.
4. In the Test Group menu, select the LTO Drive assessment test. The Description text box describes the selected test.
5. If any options are available for the selected test, the Options button is enabled. Click the Options button to review and set the desired options. When you click an option the description of the option is shown.
6. Click the Start Test button to start the test.

Once the test is completed you will be able to see the results on the same window. Please click on Support Tab on the top and save the support ticket and send the logs to me.

Note: Please note that this test is a destructive test hence any data on the cartridge being used will be lost. Please use a known good cartridge.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo