4776 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL2024 Close Mailslot & Robotic Failure 9B 3B

ArielAndreasen
Occasional Visitor

MSL2024 Close Mailslot & Robotic Failure 9B 3B

Hi,

We have an MSL2024 that we have used for several years with Backup Exec.

The system claimed it had an invalid tape some days ago. We bought a tape and I scheduled time to replace it.

The night prior to my time to replace the tape, the jobs stopped running.

I came in and the drive was locked up.

I rebooted the unit and it came back with a "recovery..." process that took hours and would constantly bug me with "Close Mailslot". I had to manually eject the Left magazine to do this and wiped down the clear inserts and ejected and closed the mailslot several times.

Eventually it looked like a firmware issue, based on the notes for, I believe firmware 4.20. Our unit was on 3.70/2.60. I was able to effect a firmware install with the Library & Tape Tools, that took many hours (screen said "Flashing..."), to 5.70. After that, the unit complained about "ROB FW Upgrade". I took this to mean the robot firmware needed an update, which meant I needed to run the 5.70 firmware upgrade again. After this, the unit alternates between failing the Recovery process, asking me to "Close Mailslot", and displaying the error "Robotic Failure 9B 3B". This error apparently means that the robot cannot find its home location with reference to the magazines. I removed both magazines with the OCP control and wiped down the locator pieces for each slot.

We do not use the Mailslot feature, just using the slot as another tape slot.

Is this an issue with the Left magazine? Should I replace it?

I have attached a Library & Tape Tools Ticket export datafile.

Thanks,

Ariel Andreasen

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The robot or the library controller has a problem.

You can pull the magazines and inspect if something stops the robot.

Unfortunatelly there is only a single spare part for this library - a complete new library (without tape drive) - you probably need one.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ArielAndreasen
Occasional Visitor

Hi, thanks for responding.

So is the log file saying the robot cannot move properly and is being blocked? How does the robot know where its home location is. I thought I read that it based it on the mail slot as the first tape on the left magazine.

Do you think this is more a hardware problem with the library, rather than the magazine? I was concered over the frequent "Close Mailslot" prompts on the display, suggesting that it could not tell it was closed. Of course, I dont know what component tells the library that the mailslot is closed or not.

Would there be any value in the left magazine replacement or would that just be throwing the money away?

ArielAndreasen
Occasional Visitor

Thank you,

You were correct. A replacement library chassis was in order. I recieved one on Friday and installed it. I just had to re-inventory and repartition the slots, per our backup architecture and all appears well.

MJS39
Occasional Visitor

Out of curiosity, when you say replacement library chassis, do you mean magazine (the magazine with the mailslot in it)?  I have the same issue and am looking to replace whatever I need to, to get this back up and running.

-Marc

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

The library chassis is the robotics.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Btw I would suggest first trying a factory reset through the MSL web-gui and indeed check if nothing is blocking the robotics. If neither of these things resolve the issue, it basically means that the robotics/chassis needs to be replaced.

If the MSL is still under warranty I would try this first, collect the logs, call HP explain what you already tried and send them the logs. Shouldn't take them long too verify the issue and order a new robotics for you.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)