108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024 G3 and Barcodes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bert Groot-Hulze

MSL2024 G3 and Barcodes

Hi,

We have a MSL2024 with 1 Ultrium drive and FC in place and are using Data protector 6.0

Backups are running fine, but now we added barcode labels to the tapes, 23 data tapes and 1 cleaning tape.

The strange thing is, in dataprotector and the http interface of the library itself only the label from the cleaning tape is being read. the labels from the data tapes aren't.

I'm pretty sure its just a configuration issue somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Firmware library is 3.10, drive is M22W, DP6 is pathced with all patches. Barcodes in use are HP Ultrium 3 RW, Q2007A labels.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL2024 G3 and Barcodes

Hello,

We had the same exact issue. The problem is firmware related. There is a bug in the firmware.

Are the labels beginning with NR? If yes, the bar code reader will interpret this as "Not Readable", thus unable to read them.

For the short term, replace the labels with ones starting with any other letters than "NR". HP shall provide us with a new firmware that fixes this issue.

Open a case with HP about it so that you get the labels replaced for free.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Bert Groot-Hulze

Thanks Vincent!

I just logged a call with HP Netherlands, but ofc they didn't know the problem. I send them the link to these forums and will keep you informed!

Kind regards,

Bert
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Vincent is correct - there is a known firmware bug and labels beginning with NR are misinterpreted as "Not Readable" as the signal from the barcode reader for not readable is the characters NR.

Firmware with a fix to look at the rest of the returned value and see if it is a valid label that begins with NR instead of the not readable signal is in test.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The new firmware, 3.20, has been posted. Go to the support page for your product and download the latest bundle or if you have network access from your server run L&TT and it will detect/download the new firmware.