108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 RMI Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

MSL2024 RMI Problem

Using the RMI connection from my PC, when I try and connect to the MSA2024 I often receive the following, "this page can not be displayed" error page.

If I power cycle the MSL2024, then try again I make connection. Can anyone shed some light as to what might be causing this to happen?
10 REPLIES 10
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did you intend to post this question in the VMS operating system area?

Probably the tape library forum: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=198
would be a better spot.

And when you re-post this over there, you might want to indicate which version of IE or Firefox you're using, and whether or not the other works. Also which firmware is loaded into the MSL, if it's not current.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

I'm sorry, but when I click on the link you provided it takes me to this forum, which I thought was the tape form.

The MSL2024 library is at the firmware version 3.20. The tape unit inside is at M63W.

Using Internet Explorer and the IP address give to the MSL2024, we get a response noted in the original message string. Is ther a specific version of IE that we should be using?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You may have a lan connectivity problem, are you in the same subnet?
can you ping the device?
you may try with another PC connected closer to the MSL.
I heard about someone who had problem with a specific browser, but not sure wich one and if the problem was due to some advanced configurations. You can try with another browser also.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Can you tel me what port access is made to through when you do the following: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

the service in the MSL2024 is a webserver, so the port is the default one 80, you do not need to specify any during your connection.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Thank you for your reply. These tape libraries have been install at various military installations. Some if the installations are reporting problems with the RMI connection not being esatblished. another words, they are not getting the page served up to them when making the WEB connection. I have a feeling that port 80 may be being blocked on some of the military networks or at least some sort of scan on the military network is blocking the page from being surved up.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ah ok, as you are speaking about software scanning LAN, I had in the past some of these library that hang due to the way the polling is made, so be aware if you have programm scanning the Network and pinging or telnetting these libraries or using other way to check what is present and active, that these SW can cause some problems. If the problem is not the port closed on some Switch, try to connect the lan port of the MSL to a port of a server directly with crossed cable and see if this solve the problem. You can log in that server and access to the MSL from there.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I should also add that most of the problem due to these scanning SW has been isolated and solved in the latest FW released
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

I saw that mentioned while reviewing the latest release V4.20. I'm working on getting permission on installing that release. With the GOV. it takes time.

Thanks again.