1752328 Members
5732 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Tape Library

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I can't explain why L&TT reports a SCSI ID of 5 when the library says it is set to 4. I'll look into that issue and see if there is a known case where this can occur.

Can you please use L&TT to pull a support ticket from the drive and post it here zipped? That may have some tips that will help explain the ID's.

As another poster has already said we need more details about the computer and HBA you are using to provide any tips on verifying LUN scanning.
Vianey_2
Advisor

We have a Proliant DL380 G2 server with Windows 2003 Ent Ed. SP1, firmware version is:

BIOS (P24) Ver: 2002.08.17
Smart Array 5i & SA-532 Ver: 1.92
BD00912578 & BD01812579 drivers Ver: BCJE

I attach the ticket of the Drive.

Thanks a lot!

vianey/yolanda
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I haven't completed review of the support ticket but one item jumps right out.

The drive is attached to a SmartArray controller. The SmartArray and most other array controllers do not support LUN mode and can't be used with an MSL2024.

In general use of an array controller with a tape device is not recommended.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Right now these are in unreadable formats (dat). Can you paste the text into a txt file first?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If you are referring to the L&TT files he attached the format is correct for viewing with L&TT http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools which uses a header (.ltt) and data (.dat) files.

Vianey_2
Advisor

Hi all!

I am so confused I can not understand so well the Smart Array concept because if I am right all Proliant servers works with this concept for their internal disks and if MSL2024 can not work with Smart arrays what kind of servers I can use :( ?

Thanks in advance,
vianey
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Many Proliant servers have built in SmartArray controllers. Those are SCSI arrary controllers and not general purpose SCSI controllers. The connectors look just like standard SCSI controllers and they use SCSI commands but the array controllers do not support the full SCSI specification and can not be used to connect an MSL 2024. An MSL 2024 may be connected to a system with a SmartArray controller but can not be connected to the SmartArray controller.

The MSL 2024 must be connected to a general purpose SCSI controller.

According to the L&TT support ticket the installed SCSI drivers are:
HP Autopath driver
HP/Compaq SmartArray Controller
Emulex Light Pulse MiniPort

None of those will support a parallel SCSI MSL2024 tape libary. The library is currently connected to a SmartArray controller which can communicate with a tape drive but can not communicate with the tape library.

The EBS matrix at http://www.hp.com/go/ebs on page 30 lists the approved HP HBA's for parallel SCSI products and the ones recommended for an LTO-2 MSL 2024 connected to a Windows server are:
268351-B21 Ultra320, LVD, Dual Channel, VHDCI
374654-B21 Ultra320, LVD, Single Channel, VHDCI
284688-B21 Ultra160, LVD, Dual Channel, VHDCI
C7474A Ultra160, LVD, Single Channel, VHDCI

Page 32 lists the 3rd party HBA's that are supported.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I think I have found the answer to the SCSI ID disagreement between L&TT and the library.

The array controller has a Compaq Logical Volume listed at address 4 so that address is not available for the library. I suspect that the array controller automatically created a virtual device when it saw a device connected at ID 4 but it made the raw device available at ID 5.

The array controller makes the drive available to the OS at SCSI ID 5 even though it actually is configured to use ID 4. The drive is configured correctly.
Yolanda Isabel M├бrquez
Occasional Advisor

Hi.

We change the card by model U160/LVD and by U320 SCSI LVP/SE, we restart the server and MSL2024 library and L&TT not recognize the library.

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot!

Vianey/Yolanda

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Please provide additional information.

Are you saying that you installed a supported HBA?

With the library connected to the new HBA is anything found during boot?

Which HBA are you using?

Which driver version?

How is the library connected to the HBA? Cable length, how many devices, were is the termination?

Please attach an L&TT support ticket with the library connected to the new HBA if you are having problems communicating with the library.