108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 and firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

MSL2024 and firmware

Hi, anyone who knows why the latest firware now is the june_06 revision. The oct_06 revision don't show up anymore. We have an issue with the library getting mechanical blockage when we have a tape in slot13. We are running DP5.50, and we do have the oct_06 revision on the 2024. Anybody who have seen the same problem, or is it just to call hw support?
10 REPLIES 10
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The October 06 version is being replaced and the new version will be available soon.

What version are you currently running. If you have 1.70 or 1.80 then updating does improve the force available for getting tapes from slots.

The update from 1.70 or 1.80 requires a one time special step and you must either:
Download 1.90 first then 2.0 or later
or
Download the new firmware twice

The capability to update the firmware on the gripper assembly wasn't working in the 1.70/1.80 firmware so you have to download firmware with that capability first and then download again to get the gripper updated.
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Following Curtis's response:

HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library firmware:
1.91 (bridge version)

NOTE: To provide a path way for 1.80 and lower library firmware to 2.00 and higher firmware, the 1.91 library firmware is being made available. This firmware is a stepping stone only. It is not meant to be used in production other than to provide a method to upgrade to firmware 2.00 or higher.

NOTE: If the library is updating to library firmware version 2.00 or higher from firmware 1.70 or 1.80 without first updating to 1.91 then you will get an "Invalid Robotic Library firmware" error (83 02). To resolve this issue, update the library a second time to update the robotics firmware to the proper level.

NOTE: Several configuration settings are reset to defaults if the library is upgrading from library firmware versions 1.70 or 1.80.

*Mailslot is set to disabled
*Drive 1 SCSI ID is set to 4
*Drive 2 SCSI ID is set to 5
*Master Drive (Library LUN hosted by) is set to Drive 1
*Drive 1 power is set to on
*Drive 2 Power is set to on
*Library Mode is set to Automatic
*Autoload Mode is disabled
*Loop Mode is disabled

thanks

Satish
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

Hi, as I said we downloaded and upgraded to the oct_06 fw before it was removed. The library now say - 2.80/1.70e and the drive is at G54W. We have done the download to the library twice to get the robotic upgraded. It is with this firmware we still have problems with mechanical blockage if we load a tape in slot 13.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The 2.80 firmware has all the robotic force improvements.

Can you post a LTT support ticket so we can check and see what type of force error is being logged? ( http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools )

If the error is a slider block (pull/push movement) then there may be a tolerance issue with that particular slot which probably could be overcome by manually loading/unloading a tape a bunch of times. Manufacturing added a "maximum pull force test" after a few libraries had shipped so it possible that there are some magazines with slots that grab the tapes too tight.

If the error is a sled block (robot assembly forward/backard) then it looks more like a robot alignment issue.
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

Hi, hope you can get something out of this support ticket. Thx for the help..
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately I am unable to get a good download of that file. I tried several times and tried to run a zip fix utility. It is mostly intact but I wasn't able to fix it so I couldn't learn anything.
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I'm sorry. Here is a support ticket I hope you can read. I used ftp on unix in the transfer, and forgot the "bin" on the first one.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Thanks - that file was fine.

All of the errors have occurred on an attempt to pull a tape out of the slot. The problem is almost certainly either the slot or the tape.

If you have tried different tapes then that points to the slot. Pop a tape in and out a few times and it may resolve the issue if a spring force is a little too high. If that doesn't resolve the issue you may need to get a new magazine.
Ronny Horgen
Frequent Advisor

Thx, we followed your advice and "exercized" the tape/slot several times. Then we could move the tape from the library panel, and it also worked greate from DP.