1751931 Members
4887 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 drivers for Windows Server 2003

Kevin Moore_7
Occasional Visitor

MSL2024 drivers for Windows Server 2003

I am probably just missing something as I searched the forum for this answer.

I have a customer with an MSL2024 connected to a Windows 2003 server. The LTT diags run without a problem and sees the drives and changer. It did say that there are firmware upgrades available. But Veritas NetBackup does not recognize the drive and the Windows device manager has an error as well. No driver was ever loaded. Does HP provide a driver or does the driver come from the backup application software? I see where some folks have used Windows Update but this system is not on the Internet. Thanks for any information.
7 REPLIES 7
Dirk Lange
Occasional Advisor

If you need some information which Driver is needed for your Backup Application, please take a look into EBS (Enterprise Backup Solution) Matrix (http://www.hp.com/go/ebs). This Compatibility Guide provides Information which Driver is tested.
For Netbackup you can use HP or NBU Driver.
I recommend to use NBU Driver.

Regards
Kevin Moore_7
Occasional Visitor

The Veritas web site has NetBackup 5.1 and 6.0 as supported but the EBS only lists 6.0. The customer is using 5.1. She installed it after the tape drive was connected and it never loaded a driver for the MSL2024. I do remember the backup application driver is the preferred way to go (it's been a while since I have messed with this stuff) but I don't see where an HP driver can be downloaded. Any ideas? In the meantime, I will see if the customer can move up to 6.0. Thanks!
Dirk Lange
Occasional Advisor

Yes of course, the EBS Matrix handled with the latest Version of Software. I just looked into EBS Archive and Netbackup 5.1 was listed last time in August of 2005 (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/ebs/EBSMatrix-0805.pdf).
There are also recommended to use HP or NBU Driver.
Do you tried to use the Scsi Tape Installer? (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/TapeDrv/SCSITapeInstaller.exe)
I'm not sure if there is the Driver inside.

Regards
ASO FINANCE
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Veritas raccomended use the NBU drivers.
The drivers is in the software cd.
The release is 5.1 or 6.x ?
Bye
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

This sounds like a compatiblity issue with Veritas NetBackup.

Please also keep in mind that MSL 2024 is a multiple LUN unit and will not be detected by Device Manager if it is using a non-LUN card (like a raid card).

Not sure if this will help but here is a driver I found for Veritas and MSL 20204 units:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282974.htm
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

I saw an issue with a 1/8 LTO LUN autoloader with the same type of issue with netbackup.

Remember that Back Up Exec had released 10d specifically for detection issues with LUN devices.

Ensure that Netback up does not need a patch with Veritas, for this issue. As for drivers I am not sure if any are available from Veritas for netback up.
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

If you see a ? in device manager beside the tape drive then you should run this exe file:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locBasepartNum=co-11627-2тМй=English+(US)